Tigers pounce to top spot of EIVA conference

The men’s volleyball team continued its recent string of strong performances with a win over reigning EIVA champions George Mason (5-7 overall, 2-3 EIVA). The Tigers (5-6, 3-1), fresh off a victory over conference rivals NJIT (6-6, 2-2), grabbed their third conference win of the season, putting them tied with Sacred Heart (10-2, 3-1) at the top of the EIVA table.

The Tigers opened competitions this past week with a Valentine's date with NJIT. While the Highlanders started the game strong to nearly secure two sets, the Princeton squad fought back to deny NJIT a dominant 2-0 lead. In fact, NJIT served seven times to secure the second set. Each time the Tigers denied them, eventually winning the crucial second set 34-32.

After securing their first set, the Princeton team never looked back, winning the next two sets on their way to a second EIVA conference victory.

Freshman outside hitter Parker Dixon spearheaded the Princeton offense with a career-high 22 kills. Freshman outside hitter Greg Luck also made his presence felt with 10 kills including several in late moments of the game. Junior outside hitter Kendall Ratter added to the tally with 18 kills of his own.

The Tigers would carry the momentum of their recent win into their match against George Mason.

The Princeton team started the game strong to take the first two sets in dominant fashion, beating George Mason 25-18 and 25-17. However, the Patriots came back to clinch a tight third set. Although the Orange and Black managed to force one match point, George Mason ultimately managed to secure the set. Despite the setback the Tigers maintained their poise. With a strong showing, the Princeton squad closed the match with a 25-23 victory.

Once again, the Princeton freshmen showed their worth in a crucial conference game. Freshman middle blocker George Huhmann led the Princeton team with nine blocks and added 10 kills to the winning effort. Dixon notched an additional 13 kills and four blocks.

The young Princeton squad was paced by senior setter Jonah May, who led the offense with his 40 assists. Furthermore, Ratter and junior middle blocker Junior Oboh combined for 17 kills, helping the Tigers to overcome a tough Patriots team.

The win puts Princeton on the top of the table and in ideal position as the Tigers look to claim a playoff spot. However, just as importantly, the win shows how far the Princeton squad has come. Indeed, the Tigers had not won a match against George Mason in the past two seasons.

This recent hot streak comes just in time, as the Princeton team will face Harvard on Friday, Feb. 24. Princeton’s only Ivy League rival in the EIVA conference, the Crimson currently stand at 2-2 in the EIVA, coming off a recent victory against Sacred Heart. The Crimson (4-5) will be a tough matchup for the Tigers, having swept them in their last two encounters.

However, the new Princeton squad has shown that it is a force to be reckoned with in the EIVA. Regardless of the outcome, one can be sure the coming showdown will be an exciting one.