News and Notes: David Petraeus among those under consideration for national security adviser replacement

After former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn’s surprise resignation Monday, three people have come under consideration for his replacement, including retired general and former CIA director David Petraeus MPA ’85 Ph.D. ’87.

The administration is also reportedly considering former deputy commander of U.S. Central Command Robert Harward and Lieutenant General Keith Kellogg. Kellogg is the acting national security adviser, according to USA Today.

Flynn’s resignation came after only 24 days on the job and in the wake of lost trust, after he did not fully disclose to FBI agents what was discussed on a phone call he had with Russia’s ambassador, according to The New York Times. Both party leaders had said that they expected the Senate to investigate and “probably summon Mr. Flynn to testify, [as] more details emerged about a drama that played out largely in secret inside a White House riven by competing power centers,” the Times reported.

Petraeus resigned during former President Barack Obama’s second term, citing an extramarital affair with his biographer, Paula Broadwell. A credentialed journalist with the Department of Defense, Broadwell is known to have received confidential and classified information from Petraeus, according to CNN. Petraeus pleaded guilty for sharing such information and received two years’ probation and a fine of $100,000.

On CNN with Anderson Cooper, Broadwell said that this scandal shouldn’t be a barrier to Petraeus’ appointment as national security adviser.

“I say it’s been five years, and everyone involved in this situation has taken responsibility for their actions and suffered the consequences and has tried to move forward,” she said on air. “I think a lot of what happened to him has been taken out of context. There was no ill intent and again, no national security was jeopardized in any way. He’s paid a price for it.”