Yale submits report to change residential college name

Yale University released a report to its Committee to Establish Principles on Renaming after receiving demands to rename the residential college named after John C. Calhoun, a former U.S. Senator known for his support of slavery.

The report, a 24-page document outlining the principles that guide the decision-makers at the university in renaming campus architecture, will be sent to a three-person committee to present a recommendation on whether the university should rename the residential college. The committee members will be named by Yale president Peter Salovey.

Last year, Princeton University saw a sit-in led by the Black Justice League, whose demands included cultural competency training for faculty, the creation of cultural spaces for black students, and public recognition from the University regarding former University and U.S. President Woodrow Wilson's racist legacy. This included changing the name of Wilson College, the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, and the removal of the mural of Wilson in Wilcox dining hall. Currently, the University is considering renaming West College and the atrium in the basement of Robertson Hall. Additionally, the University staged an exhibit that details Wilson's influence in re-segregating federal agencies and opposing women's education.

At Yale, supporters of the name change claim that renaming would better align the buildings with the core educational tenets of Yale. Those in opposition believe renaming Calhoun College would be harmful if the motive behind it is to hide and revise history.

According to Yale Alumni Magazine, current students and faculty are the strongest proponents of the residential college name change, while older alumni oppose the change.

A recommendation is expected to be filed by early 2017, and a decision will be made soon after.