Department of Justice finds U. in compliance with ADA

The Department of Justice and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey reached an agreement with the University with regards to the University’s protocol and procedural practices relating to students with mental health disabilities, according to a University press release.

A compliance review of University policies began in May 2014, and the DOJ did not find any instances of ADA non-compliance after years of review. The specific policies in question included requests for reasonable modifications, withdrawals, and leaves of absences.

The agreement includes a revision to the type of accommodations students with disabilities may request, a revision of the protocol listed on the websites for the Office of Disability Services and Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students to request such accommodations, a revision to the University’s leave of absence policies and practices to better align with Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act, and annual training on Title III of the ADA.

“The University really has a community-wide approach — with support from staff in offices across campus and the residential colleges, as well as from individual faculty — to ensure that undergraduate and graduate students with disabilities get the access they deserve,” said Michele Minter, Vice Provost for Institutional Equity and Diversity, in the press release.

The University has 30 days to make these amendments to its policies to better comply with ADA.

This compliance review was made separate from another lawsuit the University is facing in W.P. v. Princeton University, in which a former University student who had attempted suicide was later allegedly denied access to the University and pressured to “voluntarily” withdraw from the University. 

More to come...