Women's Volleyball splits weekend, sweep Brown after falling to Yale

The women’s volleyball team split their games this Friday and Saturday, winning their match against Brown after a heart-breaking loss against Yale. The results this weekend keep the Tigers (11-1 Ivy League) at the top of the Ivy League Conference, but the race tightens as Yale inches to within one game of the Orange and Black.

Although the Tigers swept the Bulldogs in three sets in their last game, this match proved to be a hotly contested meet-up. Both teams would trade blow for blow until the final set.

The Princeton squad started the game with their usual poise, claiming the first set. However, Yale quickly rebounded to win the second set comfortably. The Orange and Black quickly responded by claiming the third set and putting the pressure on the Bulldogs.

The fourth set proved to be pivotal as both side fought tooth and nail. This was also probably the Tiger’s best opportunity to clinch the game as they went up 24-23, a point away from claiming another win.

However, the bulldogs would narrowly edge out their rivals, 26-24, to tie up the game and force the match to continue. Despite a strong start from Yale in the fifth set, the Tigers would once again show their resilience closing the gap to 10-9. But the Bulldogs would then take four of the next five points to seal the game.

In spite of the disappointing result, the Princeton squad put up a strong performance overall. Senior co-captain Cara Mattaliano posted a career-high 24 kills. In addition, she also added 19 digs, two aces, and a block. Other notable performances came from freshmen Maggie O’Connell and Devon Peterkin who contributed 21 and 12 kills respectively to the Princeton effort.

The Tigers would then travel to Providence for their next match against Brown. If the Tigers were disappointed at losing their 14-game winning streak and suffering their first Ivy League loss, they certainly did not show it. Despite the disappointing defeat, the Tigers quickly rebounded to emphatically sweep the Bears 3-0. The win would prove to be crucial as the Bulldogs beat Penn to keep pressure on the first-place Princeton squad.

The Tigers claimed the first set against Brown comfortably, 25-16. However, the Bears would show their resilience with a surge in the second set. The Princeton squad managed to keep their poise and rally for the crucial set, beating Brown 26-24. The team then finished the match with a strong performance in the third and final set as they cruised to a 25-14 victory.

With two games left in the season, the Tigers will be looking to close Ivy League play on a strong note. Princeton will host their two remaining opponents, Cornell and Columbia, this Friday and Saturday respectively. Two wins here will secure the Tigers an outright Ivy League title and their first bid for the NCAA since 2007.

With the Ivy League title and NCAA bid on the line, these next games will surely not be ones to miss. The Tigers continue their season at home on Friday against Cornell.