U. students gather to watch election results

On Tuesday evening, hundreds of students gathered at Whig Hall to watch live coverage of the results of the 2016 presidential elections at the American Whig-Cliosophic Society’s Election Night Extravaganza.

The event featured screenings on all four floors of the building, as well as a photo booth and a raffle.

One room on the third floor of the Whig Hall was dedicated to Fox News coverage. 15 students crowded around a large black table, most with laptops out to ensure constant updates on election results. A single flat-screen TV provided updates on the presidential and senatorial elections as voting counts came in.

“I think it’s cool to see a lot of students spread out all over watching, in one space for everybody to get together and watch,” Sarah Malik ’20 said. “I think the election represents the silent majority that a lot of people, Princeton students especially, probably never thought about, but their voice is really being heard. Even if Trump doesn’t win, the fact that he did better than everyone thought is something we really need to think about.”

The largest room of the Whig-Clio event provided CNN coverage, with filled rows of chairs, a crowded balcony, patriotic plastic flags, and life-size cardboard cutouts of each candidate. Most of the students in the room supported Clinton, responding with cheers and rounds of applause to blue-state projections, although a few vocal Trump supporters made their voices heard as well.

“This is the only presidential election we’ll be in college for, and we wanted it to be something people remembered as a good memory of college,” Allison Berger ’18, president of Whig-Clio, said.

“I’ve been really happy with the engagement levels we’ve had. I would estimate between 500 and 1,000 people were here tonight,” she added. “We had 1,000 donuts and they were all gone. I’ve been really pleased with this and hope its serves as an impetus for people to get even more involved with politics after the election.”

Berger is a member of the Daily Princetonian Editorial Board.