News & Notes: U. faculty members sign statement to support diversity, object discrimination

Nearly three hundred members of the University's faculty released a statement “in support of diversity and against racism and discrimination” on Thursday. The statement was signed by 267 assistant, associate, or full professors and by 32 lecturers.

This is 24 percent of the University's 1,238 faculty members.

The statement comes after many series of events at the University protesting the aftermath of the election of President-elect Donald Trump, including an anti-Trump demonstration, a petition created by students asking for the University to declare itself a “sanctuary campus,” on top of Trump's declaration to deport 2-3 million undocumented immigrants who have committed crimes.

This statement was also revealed the same day a student-organized demonstration took place in front of Nassau Hall to offer undocumented immigrants a safe haven at the University.

The opening lines of the statement reads: “amid reports of hate crimes on campuses and schools, we, the undersigned Princeton University faculty, firmly emphasize our belief that all members of our community deserve to be treated with empathy and respect. We come together on this issue not as Democrats or as Republicans, but as concerned members of our community.”

The statement also expressed full support for the message sent to the student body by University President Christopher Eisgruber '83 and articulates a pledge "to be outspoken in the defense of these values.”

The document can still be signed by faculty members.