Field Hockey Erupts into NCAA Final Four

Following two enormous upsets over No. 6 Penn State and No. 7 Virginia, Princeton field hockey became the victorious underdog of the collegiate field hockey world this past weekend. On Saturday alone, the Tigers shocked the NCAA community with a 2-1 first-round victory over powerhouse Penn State. Then, on Sunday, the Tigers repeated their success with a 3-2 upset over Virginia. This Friday, Princeton will take on the University of Delaware for the penultimate game of the tournament.

Just two weeks ago, the Princeton field hockey team confronted the possibility of missing the post-season NCAA tournament for the first time in over a decade. It was only after a dominant victory over the rival Penn Quakers that Princeton earned an at-large bid to join fifteen of the nation’s best programs in the tournament.

Heading into Saturday’s matchup on the Nittany Lions’ own turf, the Tigers were the clear underdogs. Having lost just two games during the entire regular season, Penn State had plenty of justification for its fifth place ranking in the nation.

That said, the two foes had actually faced each other in the same arena just a few weeks prior. While the 4-2 result seemingly favored the Lions in the early October matchup, the two foes were actually equally matched in shots and saves during the regular season matchup.

The Saturday, Penn State and Princeton proved to be well matched opponents once again. For the first half of the game, neither team could muster a single goal. It was in the 45th minute when junior striker Ryan McCarthy tapped the ball in to give the Tigers a 1-0 lead. Fifteen minutes later, senior captain Cat Caro extended the lead following a corner. However, the real victory came from freshman goalkeeper Grace Baylis, who registered six of Princeton’ eight saves.

Following Saturday’s game, sophomore striker Sophia Tornetta, describing the weekend as “surreal,” commented, “To start off the tournament with a win against Penn State was the best thing that could have happened.”

Though Princeton pulled away with the 2-1 victory over Penn State, the team had little time to rest before taking on No. 7 Virginia on Sunday. Similar to the Nittany Lions, the Cavaliers entered this weekend as one of the nation’s premier squads. Furthermore, prior to Sunday, the Tigers had not taken down Virginia since Princeton’s championship run three years ago. But, even with the odds stacked against them, Tornetta explained that heading into the match, “we were determined to prove to everyone what Princeton field hockey was really about.”

For the majority of the matchup, Princeton and Virginia traded goals, with each team equalizing the other’s efforts. On the Orange and Black side, it was Caro and sophomore midfielder Elise Wong who netted goals for Princeton. Additionally, Princeton once again maintained its impenetrable goalkeeping, with the Tigers saving six of Virginia’s eight shots. The Caveliers on the other hand were unable to terminate a single Orange and Black shot.

The moment that the team will remember for the ages was not, however, the two earlier goals or the spectacular saves but rather the literal last-second buzzer-beater from Tornetta. In a desperate last minute fury, Tornetta and the Tigers raced the ball up the field in the final ticks of the game. It was a last-ditch swing that stunned the Cavaliers and sent Princeton to the final four for the first time in three years.

Following the unbelievable victory, Tornetta exclaimed, “Today’s win made me absolutely speechless. I have never been so proud and lucky to be on a team. This weekend proved who we are as that we are a force to be reckoned with. To be able to say that we are going to the final four after receiving the last at-large bid is legendary.”

Senior co-captain Hailey Reeves echoed her teammate’s words by saying, “I am so proud of how hard everyone worked this weekend. We have come so far this season and proved that we can compete with some of the best teams in the country. I will remember this moment for the rest of my life!”

Next up, the Tigers will take on No. 8 Delaware this Friday at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Va. Similar to the Tigers, Delaware advanced to the final four off an improbable upset over top-ranked Duke. The last time Delaware faced Princeton, however, the Tigers prevailed on their home turf, setting the stage for an even longer historic run.