Updated: U. Professor Haldane wins 2016 Nobel Prize in Physics

University professor Frederick Duncan Haldane was awarded the 2016 Nobel Prize in Physics on Oct. 4 for “theoretical discoveries of topological phase transitions and topological phases of matter.”

Haldane, the Eugene Higgins Professor of Physics, will share half of the prize with John Michael Kosterlitz of Brown University. The other half was awarded to David Thouless of the University of Washington, Seattle.

“They have used advanced mathematical methods to study unusual phases, or states, of matter, such as superconductors, superfluids or thin magnetic films,” the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences said in its press release.

Haldane earned his B.A in 1973 and Ph.D. in 1978, both from the University of Cambridge. He was awarded the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Research fellowship from 1984-88, and has been teaching at the University since 1990.

In a press conference held Tuesday afternoon in Frick Chemistry Laboratory, Physics Department Chair Lyman Page, Jr. noted the pioneering nature of Haldane’s research.

“In a department of unusually creative people, Duncan stands out,” Page said, noting Haldane’s deep scholarly insights, as well as his humorous personality.

He went on to note that Haldane is a reminder of the importance of environments like Princeton, where pursuit of knowledge enables scientific discoveries to flourish.

“We all look forward to seeing what this work leads to," Page added. "There is more great science to come.”

“At this kind of university, there are lots of things that create special days, but I think there are very few days that are as special as one where we get to celebrate a Nobel Prize like this," University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 said.

“It’s wonderful to have an opportunity to celebrate the extraordinary research that Duncan Haldane has done, and also to celebrate the tradition of scientific research that makes basic discoveries that are going to expand our understanding of the universe, and at the same time potentially produce applications that will matter to society,” Eisgruber added.

Haldane noted that in the future, he plans to turn his attention from quantum topology to quantum geometry. He is currently developing a new geometric description for the fractional quantum Hall effect that introduces the shape of the “composite boson.”

After the press conference, there was a reception where friends, family, and colleagues of Haldane celebrated. Haldane posed for selfies and a formal toast was given in his honor.

Haldane joins several other University faculty members who have received the Nobel Prize in Physics, including Philip Anderson, Joseph Taylor, Daniel Tsui and David Gross.

Among his many other accolades, Haldane is the recipient of the 1993 Oliver E. Buckley Condensed Matter Physics Prize of the American Physical Society, the 2008 Lorentz Chair for the Lorentz Institute at Leiden University, and co-recipient of the 2012 ICTP Dirac Medal and the 2013-14 Simons Fellow in Theoretical Physics.