Women's Soccer open season with six-game winning streak

The women's soccer team ended their season last year as the outright Ivy League champions, winning six games in the Ivy League Conference. Their only tie came from the Quakers, who managed a double shutout against the Tigers.

However, if the start of the season is any indication, the Princeton squad looks even more impressive this season. The team remains undefeated, winning their first six games, including two nail-biters in overtime. While still early in the season, the Tigers are undoubtedly in form and seem poised to recreate last year’s success.

The Tigers opened the season at home against the Fordham Rams. In what would be a dream start for Princeton, senior Tyler Lussi scored a brace in the first nine minutes, leading the team to a strong 3-1 victory. This would be the first of many highlights over the last several weeks.

Princeton’s first overtime match would be against Delaware University. The two teams remained fairly matched. Both sides remained scoreless after playing 85 minutes. It would be the Blue Hens who would break the stalemate, scoring in a one-on-one opportunity. However, five minutes later, in the dying moments of the game, an equalizer from junior midfielder Vanessa Gregoire sent the game to overtime. A Lussi goal in second overtime gave the Orange and Black a hard-earned win.

Princeton’s next two games showcased their potential, as the Tigers dominated the Howard Bison and Temple Owls, 4-0 and 3-0, respectively. These matches also saw Lussi become Princeton’s all-time leading goal scorer.

The team faced their second nail-biter against the Monmouth University Hawks. Both teams managed to score one goal apiece in the first half. However, a scoreless second half saw the Tigers once again play overtime. This time, a goal from sophomore forward Mimi Asom elevated the Tigers to a difficult win. Escaping with their winning streak intact, this 6-0 start is tied for the third-best start in the team’s history.

The season continues on the road this week as the Princeton squad travels to West Virginia University and Duquesne University. These next two games present the perfect opportunity for the Tigers to continue their momentum. Still, both opponents should present an exciting challenge for the Princeton squad.

Indeed, last year, the Duquesne Dukes beat Princeton, 3-2, handing the team their second loss of the season. While the Tigers managed to strike the first blow and take the lead twice in the game, two late goals in the final fifteen minutes of the game helped the Dukes rally to a victory.

West Virginia has also had success in its new season, going seven games without suffering a loss. The Mountaineers also have experience at the highest level of competition, having reached the Elite Eight of the NCAA twice. Their six-game winning streak matches Princeton’s impressive start, making them a dangerous foe.

With their first Ivy League Conference match just weeks away, the Tigers will undoubtedly be looking to build their momentum in the coming matches as they prepare for another title run.