Tigers return from historic season with high expectations

Last year was a rollercoaster ride of emotion for the Princeton women’s volleyball team. After losing their first three games in the Ivy League conference, the Princeton squad was looking to regroup and find answers.

In what would be a remarkable show of resilience, the Orange and Black won ten of their final eleven conference matches. The unprecedented comeback rocketed the Tigers from last place to the top of the table. Princeton and Harvard shared the Ivy League crown in a truly thrilling season.

While the 2015-16 season was a memorable one, the Tigers have already set their sights on improving upon last year’s impressive performance. “Last year was amazing, but I think we all have one goal this year, and that's to win the Ivy League title outright and go to NCAA,” senior co-captain Cara Mattaliano said. “We're coming into this season with a lot of grit and we're all ready to give it 100% so we can prove ourselves during league play.”

The Tigers started the new season by traveling to San Francisco for the program’s first regular season tournament in California. The trip gave the team a unique opportunity to face tough opponents while learning to play together. Princeton left the Golden State 2-1, dropping only their last game against Indiana University.

The team will now be looking to work out any kinks as it tries to build its chemistry heading into Ivy League play at the end of this month. “Last season was incredible. We came back from a huge deficit and were able to make Ivy League history, but the league is extremely competitive and each year is a blank slate,” Mattaliano said. “This year we are focusing on improving upon last year and pushing ourselves further so that we can win outright and we are achieving that through hard work and a focused mentality.”

In addition to reestablishing the rhythm and chemistry they had last year, the Princeton squad will also need to fill crucial roles left by graduation. In particular, there's former captain Kendall Peterkin, who not only earned unanimous first-team All-Ivy League honors, but also managed 1255 kills in her career at Princeton. The Tigers will also be missing four-year starting libero Sarah Daschback, who finished her career with 1580 digs, the second most in the team’s history.

While the Tigers have big shoes to fill this year, it seems the Princeton team is more than prepared to meet these new challenges. This year, co-captain Mattaliano will lead the team. Named the 2015 Ivy League Player of the Year, Mattaliano posted career highs in kills, points, and hitting percentage last season. She will undoubtedly be crucial to the Tigers’ efforts this season as well.

Fellow co-captain senior Brittany Ptak will take charge in the middle court. Having earned second-team All-Ivy League Honoree last season, Ptak has demonstrated that she is both a consistent hitter and solid defender.

In addition, the Princeton squad will be looking to its juniors and sophomores to step up and fill the void left by graduating seniors. The team is also welcoming four new freshmen in the Class of 2020, many of whom will debut in the coming tournaments and have already revitalized the team.

“The freshmen came in from day one with huge energy and have made an immediate impact during practices and games,” Mattaliano said. “They've meshed really well with our team, on and off the court, and I'm really excited to see the ways in which they'll contribute this year.”

Returning to the helm, head coach Sabrina King will lead the Tigers again as they look to claim another Ivy League title. King, who was named the 2015 Head Coach of the year, has been a major part of the Princeton volleyball program for 16 years. In addition to years of coaching experience, King also boasts a remarkable career as a player, having helped the Tigers to three Ivy League titles. Her experience as both a coach and player will be invaluable as Princeton vies for an Ivy title and NCAA spot.

Fans of Princeton volleyball have plenty to be excited for as the Tigers enter another season. With the Ivy title and a coveted NCAA spot on the line, this year promises to deliver another thrilling season.