News & Notes: U. S. Poet Laureate Juan Felipe Herrera talks language, social change

U.S. Poet Laureate Juan Felipe Herrera encouraged students and community members to speak out on social issues on Thursday, Sept. 23, at an event organized as part of the Latinx Heritage Month.

Herrera, the nation’s first Latino poet laureate, spoke to a crowded audience about the power of language to instigate change. He read several of his poems in both Spanish and English, pausing frequently to comment on the themes expressed. Herrera also read three poems that were inspired by his conversations with graduate students at the University.

Herrera’s most recent collection, Notes on the Assemblage, deals with issues of racial tension and police brutality, among other topics.

“Things kept happening that I had to talk about,” he said.

Herrera connected his work to the lives of students at the University, referencing conversations he had with graduate students the previous night. He encouraged the audience to participate throughout the nearly two-hour event, occasionally calling for attendees to repeat lines or shout words.

Herrera also engaged in a question-and-answer session with the audience that focused on strategies for enacting social change. He stressed that language and communication are key parts of any activist movement.

The event was held in the Carl A. Fields Center for Equality and Cultural Understanding and was cosponsored by the Council of the Humanities;Campus Conversations on Identities; the Graduate School's diversity and inclusion team;the departments of Spanish and Portuguese, Comparative Literature, and English; and the programs in Creative Writing and Latin American studies.