Olympics Day 8 Roundup – Stone ’07 becomes first Tiger Olympian to medal at Rio

olympicsroundup1-2
olympicsroundup1-2

Gevvie Stone ’07 became the first Princetonian to earn a spot on the podium at the 2016 Games when she won a silver medal in her single sculls event.

Stone took home the silver for Team USA with a time of 7:22.92. Australian Kim Brennan finished first with a time of 7:21.54, while China’s Duan Jingli finished third with a time of 7:24.13. Stone’s second place finish at the 2016 Games, which led to her first Olympic medal, follows her seventh place finish at the 2012 Games.

Lauren Wilkinson ’11 and the rest of her Canadian boat finished fifth in the women’s coxed eights finals with a time of 6:06.04. Team USA, which finished in first place, posted a time of 6:01.49. Wilkinson also rowed in Canada’s coxed eights at London in 2012, where she earned a silver medal.

The United States men’s coxed eights boat, which included Glenn Ochal ’08, finished fourth in the finals with a time of 5:34.23. Bronze medal winner Netherlands posted a time of 5:31.59 while fifth place finisher Poland posted a time of 5:34.62. Ochal also rowed in USA’s coxless fours boat in the 2012 Games, where he earned a bronze medal.

USA’s Ashleigh Johnson ’17 made 9 saves for her water polo team to lock in an 11-6 win over Hungary. With this victory, USA finished the preliminary round of the tournament undefeated and at the top of Group B with 6 points. It will now face Brazil in the quarterfinals on Monday. Brazil is yet to earn a victory in the event at the 2016 Games.

USA’s field hockey team, including Katie Reinprecht ’13, Julia Reinprecht ’14 and Kathleen Sharkey ’13, faced its first defeat of the tournament when it fell 2-1 to Great Britain, which remains undefeated. USA led 1-0 until the third quarter after scoring at the 38 minute mark. Great Britain scored both its goals in the last ten minutes of the game -- the first came at the 53 minute mark, and the second at the 57 minute mark. After this loss, USA finished the preliminaries of the tournament in second place in Group B and third place in the overall standings, with 12 points. Great Britain from Group B with 15 points and Netherlands from Group A with 13 points are the only teams ranked above USA.

After Day 8 of the Games, six University Olympians remain in contention for medals, in addition to two University assistant coaches competing in athletics events.

There are no events scheduled for Princetonians on Day 9 of the Games.

The following is the schedule for Monday, Day 10 of the Games:

9:25 a.m. EDT: Donn Cabral ’12 will be competing in men’s 3000 meter steeplechase heats.

11:30 a.m. EDT: Team USA with the Reinprecht sisters and Sharkey will go up against Germany for the field hockey quarterfinals.

5:20 p.m. EDT: Johnson will goal keep for Team USA as it takes on Brazil in the women’s water polo quarterfinals.