Olympics Day 6 Roundup: Rowing, water polo and field hockey achieve promising success

Lauren Wilkinson '11 and Team Canada Clinch Finals Qualification

Ten Tigers competed on Day 6 of the 2016 Rio Games in rowing, water polo, fencing, and field hockey.

U.S. rower Kate Bertko ’06 finished fifth in her lightweight double sculls semifinal, which puts her out of contention for a medal at the Games. She will now race in Final B on Friday, which is for ranking purposes only.

Team Canada, featuring rower Lauren Wilkinson ’11, finished first in the women’s coxed eights repechage with a time of 6:28.07, making it the only boat to finish the race in less than six and a half minutes. This victory has earned the Canadian boat a spot in the event’s finals on Saturday.

In the men’s coxed eight repechage, the Team USA boat featuring Glenn Ochal ’08 finished first with a time of 5:51.13, almost two seconds ahead of the Dutch team, which finished in second place. The American boat will now compete in the event’s finals on Saturday.

Robin Prendes ’11 and Tyler Nase ’13 ended their journey at the Games with a fourth-place finish for Team USA in the B final of the men’s coxless lightweight four event.

Ashleigh Johnson ’17 made eight saves for Team USA to lock in a 12-4 win over China. Read more about Johnson's defensive leadership against China here. The U.S. has now won both of its preliminary matches and will face Hungary for its last preliminary match on Saturday.

Team USA, including Katharine Holmes ’17, fell to Romania in the women’s team épée quarterfinals with a final score of 24-23. This loss made the U.S. squad ineligible for medal contention. Romania went on to win the gold medal, while Team USA went on to beat France 32-28 in the 5-8th place semifinals and finished fifth overall after beating South Korea, 22-18. Read more about Holmes' story leading up to today's competition here.

Katie Reinprecht ’13, Julia Reinprecht ’14, and Kathleen Sharkey ’13 helped Team USA maintain its undefeated streak in women's field hockey with a 3-0 win against India. This victory, which adds three points to the team's total, puts Team USA at the top of its pool with 12 points. Read more about each Tiger's contribution to the victory here. The US will now face Great Britain, which has also remained undefeated through the tournament, on Saturday.

The schedule for Day 7 is as follows:

8:10 a.m. EDT –Bertko will row in the lightweight double sculls Final B, which is for ranking purposes only.

9:20 a.m. EDT – American rower Gevvie Stone ’07 will row in the single sculls semifinals A/B 2.

6:00 p.m. EDT – Diana Matheson ’08 will play for Team Canada as it takes on France in the women’s soccer quarterfinals.