Ochal ’08 begins second Olympic Journey in Men’s Eight

Glenn Ochal ’08 was not ready to call it quits, even after winning a bronze medal in the men’s coxless four at the 2012 London Games. The Princetonian embarked upon his quest for Olympic glory once again on Monday in the men’s coxed eight at the Rio Games. The U.S. contingent unfortunately failed to advance in the second heat of the day, coming in second behind the defending Olympic champion squad of Germany. However, there does not appear to be any need for despair, as the Americans posted an impressive time of 5:40.16, putting them in a good position to qualify for the finals in the repechage race to be held on Tuesday.

Ochal could not stay away from Old Nassau even after receiving his undergraduate degree in economics in 2008. In the fall, Ochal began his four-year journey to London, spending two more years training at Princeton before heading off to Chula Vista, CA. In a post on Spark Consulting’s website, Ochal reflected on his 2012 bronze medal achievement, and credited Princeton for inculcating his passion for rowing: “I love rowing, and I love it because I found a university that had guys who I enjoyed rowing with, coaches I enjoyed rowing for and a tradition that helped me become the best athlete possible.”

Ochal and his fellow seven rowers will be hungry to earn a spot on the podium come Saturday, as Great Britain edged the American men four years ago by a mere 0.3 seconds. Though their sights are set on the prize, they must first take care of business tomorrow in the repechage.