Canada eliminates France in second consecutive Olympics, advances to semifinals

Sophie Schmidt celebrates her goal, which took Canada to the women's soccer semifinals.

After a shocking victory against world No. 2 Germany on Tuesday, Team Canada continued to turn heads on Friday by defeating No. 3 France 1-0 at the women’s soccer quarterfinals of the 2016 Olympic Games. This is the second Olympic Games in a row that Canada has knocked out France.

The Canadians, including Princetonian Diana Matheson ’08, took the lead in the 55thminute after midfielder Sophie Schmidt slammed in a lofty cross, chipped in by Janine Beckie from just inside the eighteen-yard box.

Matheson was substituted out of the game at the 69-minute mark. Canada was able to retain the 1-0 lead to take the win during regulation time. This victory maintained Team Canada’s undefeated streak at the 2016 Games.

Canada is now scheduled to face off against Germany for a second time in the event’s semifinals; a rematch for the Germans after their defeat in the group stage of the tournament.

After the conclusion of her standout collegiate career at Princeton, Matheson went on to compete in four FIFA Women’s World Cups and the 2012 London Olympic Games. During the 2012 Games, she scored the winning goal in stoppage time in the bronze-medal match to earn her team their first ever spot on the podium.

Team Canada will again look to Matheson and her fellow veteran teammates to lead in their next showdown against the German powerhouse at the semifinals scheduled for next Tuesday.