On Tap with Gevvie Stone '07

American rower GevvieStone’07 will be competing in the single sculls at the Olympic Games once again this summer. After a seventh place finish in the single sculls at the 2012 Games,Stonecontinued to row and most recently won a silver medal in the single sculls at the 2016 World Rowing Cup II. The Daily Princetonian sat down with her to discuss her personal and professional life and her relationship with rowing.

Daily Princetonian:What is your favorite thing about rowing?

GS:This is hard! I used to always say my teammates, and that's a harder answer to give now that I row the single! One of the things I love about rowing is that when the blades are off the water [on the recovery] and the boat is gliding forward, it feels almost like flying. And another important thing I love is that the harder I am willing to work and the more time I devote to the sport and to training, the more speed I get out of the boat. It is wonderfully linear, and there are not many challenges in life like that.

DP:You have been coached by both your parents at distinct points in your career. What is the most useful piece of advice you received from them?

GS:Before I left for Princeton, my dad sat me down to talk with my about rowing in college. He told me that if there was a period of two weeks in which every day I dreaded practice and struggled to get through it when I was there, I should think about stopping rowing and look for something else to do, because college is full of amazing opportunities and it's worth it to spend your time doing something you love. Of course, I've had days when I dread practice—we row in somemiserable weather conditions—but I have never dreaded practice or struggled to get through it for more than two days in a row. I still love it. Even when it's windy or it's a brutally hard workout or freezing cold or a monotonous workout—I love practically all of it!I think my dad's advice reflects how important it is in life to find pursuits that I love and to which I'm willing to fully commit myself. That passion and commitment is the start to happiness and to success.

DP:What is the oddest pre-race ritual that either you or your teammates had at the University or now have?

GS:I row the single, so just me! The ritual I'm known for is that I eat ice cream the night before every race. I also play Freecell—yes, that card game that came with all PCs—the morning of a race, and I'm weirdly superstitious about it.

DP:What is the one thing you miss the most about the University?

GS:Can I pick two? Living with so many friends in such a close vicinity and having all my meals cooked—and dishes done—for me!

DP:What is the craziest thought you've had before or during a race?

GS:Oh gosh. I don't know! I usually think to myself, as a mini-prayer almost, "Please let me give my best and let come as close to maximal effort—a.k.a. passing out—as possible." Is that crazy?

DP:What is the funniest question that you were asked at the [2012] London Games, and what did you say in response?

GS:Is it bad that I don't remember?

DP:What is the one thing you're most excited about for Rio?

GS:The racing!

DP:And finally, the typical "On Tap" question—if the four fingers and the thumb of one of your hands could dispense drinks, which drinks would they dispense?

GS:This is a fun one! I assume I get to pick five? Water—basic but necessary. Tart cherry juice—those antioxidants. Lime seltzer—to go with the cherry juice. Chocolate milk—recovery! And, though I wouldn't get to use this one as often while training, a good American ale!