Women's track prepares for outdoor Heptagonal Championships

This weekend, Princeton will host the 2016 Ivy League Heptagonal Outdoor Track & Field Championships for women’s track and field at Weaver Stadium. This meet will also mark Coach Peter Farrell’s last Ivy League Heptagonal Championship meet after 38 years. Coach Farrell has been the head coach of women’s track and field and cross country since the program evolved from a club sport to a varsity sport in 1978. Although he has overseen the entire program, Farrell has worked most closely with the distance runners. During Farrell’s career, the Tigers achieved 27 Ivy League Heptagonal titles in track and have finished among the top 15 teams at the NCAA championship meet six times in the last 12 years in cross country. Under Farrell’s watch, the track and field team has produced more than 20 All-America athletes that have represented Princeton on a national level.

After last weekend’s successful performances at The College of New Jersey and at the Penn Relays, the team is hoping for many victories across all events. Senior Cecilia Barowski, who recently qualified for the Olympic trials with a time of 2:02.62, is expected to win the 800m. Sophomore Ashley Forte has the third fastest time in the League with a time of 2:07.81, while freshman Jackie Berardo is fifth with a time of 2:08.42. Forte was the runner-up in the event during indoor Heps. These three runners, as well as junior Zoe Sims, all competed in the Penn Relays 4x800m last weekend and are hoping for first place after last year’s second. Another hopeful first-place winner is senior Emily de La Bruyere, who has the best time in the league in the 5k with a time of 16:04.19 at the Stanford Invitational. Junior pole vaulter Allison Harris set the Ivy League record just two weeks ago with a clearance of 4.15m and won the event indoors as well. Overall she has scored five times in the event, both indoors and outdoors, and is looking to continue her streak going into the weekend. She also won the Most Outstanding Field Performer of the Meet at Indoor Heps with a clearance of 14.19m. She is followed by freshman Ellie Randolph with a clearance of 14.28m, senior multi-eventer Taylor Morgan with a clearance of 14.39m and sophomore Maia Craver with a clearance of 14.45m. The Tigers have also earned four spots in the top 11 of the 100m hurdles, led by Harris.

Running and field events begin on both Saturday and Sunday at 11 a.m. and will be covered by the Ivy League Digital Network.