Q&A with Tom Bevan ’91 of Princeton Football, Founder of RealClearPolitics

Over Reunions, the Prince sat down with Thomas Bevan ’91, co-founder and publisher of RealClearPolitics. As a Tiger, Bevan played defensive back for the Princeton football team before earning a history degree. During the talk, the Chicago-based writer discussed team bonding, waking up at 4 a.m. to update his website and career advice.

The Daily Princetonian: What has been your favorite part of Princeton Reunions?

Tom Bevan: The best part about it is seeing your old friends, that’s why we’re all here. It’s great to get to hear about what they’re doing and their families. What is most surprising is that they look just like what I imagined them 25 years ago.

DP: What was your most memorable moment on the football team?

TB: The thing I remember most about football here is after practice, almost every night, four of us would just throw and see who could complete more passes. Most of my fondest memories are about spending time in the locker room, at camp, the bonding experience.

DP: Do you think playing football had some lasting effects on your character?

TB: After school, a bunch of us started charity called PlaySmart, which was motivated by the fact that we had all been positively impacted by sports. It taught us discipline, teamwork, sportsmanship – things that helped us grow into men, fathers and professionals. Especially here at Princeton, it was at a high level.

DP: How do you think the program has changed since you left?

TB: The thing that shocked me was that the varsity football team isn’t getting contact at practice anymore. That would have been inconceivable in our era.

DP: Transitioning to your current work, did you know your career path while at Princeton?

TB: I left Princeton not knowing what I wanted to do. I spent a few years working at jobs I did not like. You know, I was basically apolitical in college, but bit the bug after college. Now, sixteen years later, I still really enjoy what I get to do. But, when I came to college, I didn’t know, and when I left I didn’t know.I took a class with James McPherson, and I was hooked. I figured that if I was going to take a lot of classes, I decided I might as well take classes I enjoyed. I was always jealous of kids who knew exactly what they wanted to do.

DP: Do you think Princeton prepared you for that uncertainty?

TB: Yes and no. For sure all of the classes taught me how to read, think critically and write. But, because this place is filled with so many great people and me not knowing initially what I wanted to do, I really had a mid-life crisis when I was 25. It was a struggle. I don’t think I would have had such anxiety if I had not gone to Princeton. It was a burden, but it also motivated me.

DP: Tuning to your current job, do you think there is a connection between politics and sports?

TB: You know, there are two teams. It’s the biggest game in the country and played at a very high level. That’s something I missed when I left school, that competitive aspect. Covering politics is, in some ways, watching and reporting on a really competitive game, which I really enjoy.

DP: Any lasting advice for undergraduates here?

TB: For undergraduates, enjoy your time here. You will leave this place. Do not take it for granted while you’re here. You will look back on it so fondly. You should really enjoy every waking moment. Give it everything you’ve got. Life is long. If you leave Princeton not knowing exactly what you want to do, don’t sweat it. You will figure it out eventually if you keep working at the problem. My advice would be to keep trying to figure it out. The great thing is that you can switch jobs, careers and re-invent themselves.