Men and Women's Track and Field compete at Penn Relays and TCNJ

This weekend, the men and women’s track and field team competed in Penn Relays and the Lion’s Invitational at TCNJ. While neither meet was scored, the competition gave the Tigers a valuable opportunity to sharpen their skills before the Ivy Championships next week. And if their performance was any indication, both teams seemed in good shape to take on their Ivy rivals.

The women’s team started competition at Penn Relays on a good foot this Thursday as sophomore distance thrower Kennedy O’Dell took fifth in the hammer throw. The Princeton squad then followed up this performance with several respectable results the next day. Perhaps the most notable performance came from junior Allison Harris, senior Kerry Krause, freshman Ellie Randolph and senior Taylor Morgan, who finished fourth in the shuttle hurdles.

To put the finishing touches on the meet, the women’s team finished third in the 4x800m final. Senior Cecilia Barowski, who ran the second leg, led the effort with a time of 2:03.74.

While the Princeton squad performed well at Penn relays, the women’s team dominated at TCNJ. Indeed, all in all, the Tigers won eight events, placed second in seven events and third in six. Although the meet was not scored, it was quite clear the Tigers would have won handily. Perhaps Princeton's most impressive performance came in the 800m. The Tigers swept first through fourth place, showing not only their strength, but also the team's depth.

The men’s team had a similarly impressive weekend, albeit having a modest start at Penn relays. The first day featured mostly long distance races. The most notable result for the Princeton team was freshmen Jeremy Spiezio’s fifteenth place finish in the 5k.

Anticipation rose on Friday for the men’s distance medley relay championship. Just four years ago, the Tigers famously won the event. This year, Princeton finished in a respectable sixth place. In addition, Friday also proved successful for the men’s shot-put duo of junior Christopher Cook and sophomore Mitchell Charles. Cook finished third, throwing his best distance of the season, while Charles followed in fourth.

Moving onto Saturday, Princeton’s greatest competition took place in the pole vault championship. The event featured senior Adam Bragg and rising talent sophomore August Kiles. Bragg did not successfully eclipse a height of 5.40 meters, a feat he had accomplished previously, but finished third in the event.

The men’s side also had several impressive performances at the TCNJ competition. The Tigers managed to win three events and claim either second or third in four events. Notable performances came from senior Greg Caldwell, junior Greg Leeper and junior Xavier Bledsoe, who each won their respective events.

The Tigers will now face one of their toughest challenges of the season as they prepare for the Ivy League Heptogonal Championship next week. While claiming the top spot in the Ancient Eight is undoubtedly a daunting task, the Tigers' performance this weekend shows that they have much potential. The Tigers seem poised to leave their mark on the Ivy League stage.