Cannon and Cottage eating clubs temporarily close following graffiti incidents

Following recent cases of graffiti markings, Cannon Club and Cottage Club have closed and are off-tap to non-members, but will reconsider re-opening in time for Dean’s Date, according to sources within the club.

An unknown person or persons graffitied the cannon located on the front lawn of Cannon with the letters “UCC,” allegedly standing for “University Cottage Club.” The graffiti was easily cleaned off of the cannon with spray paint within a day of it being discovered.

Keelan Smithers ’17, president of Cannon, did not respond to requests for comment.Robert Casey ’67, Graduate Board chair of Cannon,was unavailable for comment.

On Thursday, graffiti also appeared on the columns of Cottage’s pillars with the letters “CDE,” allegedly standing for Cannon’s formal name, “Cannon Dial Elm.” The damage done to the columns will be difficult to repair, as they are made of aged marble that is difficult to wash. Several hours had passed by the time the letters were found and the paint had already seeped into the marble.

Danny Baer ’17, president of Cottage, did not respond to requests for comment.Carlos Ferrer ’76, Graduate Board chair of Cottage,did not respond to requests for comment.

Cottage was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1999 and it may take between $30,000 to $100,000 to repair the columns, according to sources within the club.

It is still unclear as to who was involved in either of the graffiti incidents.