Both Track and Field teams claim second at Ivy Heps

After a weekend of hosting the most anticipated meet of the season, both the men’s and women’s track and field teams won second place at the Ivy League Heptagonals. The women’s team fell to Harvard, 139-160, while the men fell to Cornell, 211-157.

For the women, this past weekend marked the final Heps for long-time head coach Peter Farrell. The retiring coach has led the both the women’s track and field and cross country teams for 39 years, ever since the teams obtained varsity status.

The women’s track team was in first place after Day 1 of the Ivy League Outdoor Heptagonal Championships.

Sophomore Kennedy O’Dell and senior Brielle Rowe started the day off strongly in the hammer throw. O’Dell retained the first-place title for Princeton, while Rowe took third. O’Dell and Rowe also finished the day with third and fourth in the discus.

Clearing 4.00m on her first attempt, junior Allison Harris won the pole vault, while senior Sara Ronde jumped into fourth place in the long jump.

Falling behind Cornell’s Caroline Kellner in the last two laps of the 10k, senior Kathryn Fluehr took second place after a hard-fought race.

Senior Taylor Morgan was first in the heptathlon after Day 1, having earned 3,305 points after first, second, and sixth place finishes in the shot put, hurdles, high jump, and the 200.

Senior Kerry Krause and sophomore Maia Craver didn’t finish far behind. Krause was in fourth with 3,047 points, while Craver earned 2,918 points to take seventh.

In addition to the 38 points that earned them a first-place standing heading into Day 2, the Tigers also sent 8 qualifiers to the finals in the 100m hurdles, 400m hurdles, 400m, and 800m.

On the second day, the Tigers jumped to a strong start with the steeplechase. Senior Emily de La Bruyere, junior Lizzie Bird and junior Ally Markovich claimed second, third and fifth in the event, respectively.

Senior Cecilia Barowski easily won the 400 meter dash, setting a school record time of 52.97. The star senior finished over a second before second place.

The Tigers finished the meet strong with the 4x800 and 4x400 relays. Princeton took second in the 4x800m with a 2:09.67 from junior Zoe Sims. Princeton then won the 4x400, to end the meet on a sweet note.

Turning to the men, senior Adam Bragg was the highlight of Princeton’s performance on Day 1, not only winning the pole vault, but also setting a new meet and Ivy League record. Sophomore August Kiles took second place in the event after clearing 5.11.

While freshman Adam Kelly took second in the hammer throw with a toss of 67.50, junior Vic Youn came in sixth after six attempts.

Senior captain Jake Scinto jumped to 7.11 to earn fifth in the long jump, while juniors Chris Cook and Jared Bell took fourth and fifth in the discus, respectively.

After the first five events of the decathlon, senior Bryan Oslin was in fifth with 3,509 points, while sophomore James Burns was in seventh with 3,178.

The men also performed impressively in the qualifying races, sending 14 athletes to compete in Day 2.

The second day featured a victory for the men’s 4x100 relay consisting of freshman Charles Volker, freshman Josh Billington, senior Daniel McCord and sophomore Carrington Akosa.

Sophomore Garrett O’Toole and senior Luke Brahm finished in fourth and sixth in the 1500m finals.

Princeton then jumped to an 18 point lead behind a 1-2 finish in the short put. Junior Chris Cook and sophomore Mitchell Charles continued to dominate the event.

Cornell rebounded with the 400 meter dash, but Princeton would respond with a second place finish in the 100 behind Akosa and a fourth place finish in the 800 behind sophomore Noah Kauppila.

The men then finished second in the 4x800 relay and took first through fifth, except for second, in the 400 meter hurdles.

Unfortunately, Cornell finished strong in the long jump and decathlon to secure the victory. With the second place finish, the Tigers have either won or claimed second for the past ten outdoor Heps.

Both the men and women are well on the track to the NCAA tournament as Akosa had hoped for at the beginning of the spring season, when he said, “we have great people on the track team, and we’re looking to do damage outdoors and hopefully go to nationals.”