Women's Track Competes in Stanford and Muhlenberg Invitationals

This Friday and Saturday, the women’s track and field team participated in the Stanford and Muhlenberg Invitationals. The Princeton squad continued its strong performance, showing a seamless transition from the indoor season.

While the meet showcased high level competition all around, the highlight of the Stanford meet for the Princeton side had to be senior Cecilia Barowski’s Olympic Trial qualifying time in the 800 m. Her time of 2:02.62 saw her lead the field from start to finish. In addition to securing a spot for July, the time also set a new Princeton and Ivy League record. Indeed, no other runner had beaten the 2:03 barrier before.

This has certainly been a project long in the works for Barowski, who has made qualifying for the Olympic Trials her goal even before the season began. After finishing sixth at the NCAA championships with a time of 2:06.81, Barowski accomplished that goal with gusto.

Other notable performances from the invitational include senior Emily de la Bruyere’s win in the women’s 5000 m Friday night. After holding steady in the pack for the first half of the race, de la Bruyere picked up the pace to claim first place with a time of 16:04.19.

In addition to the Stanford Invitational, Princeton was also represented in the Muhlenberg Invitation in Allentown, Pa. Here the Orange and Black also enjoyed strong performances from many members, showcasing the depths of the Princeton squad.

Junior Ariel Becker took third place in the javelin throw with a mark of 37.74. Sophomore Kennedy O’Dell added to the Princeton tally by placing in two of her three events. O’Dell took second in the shot put with a throw of 12.13 and would later go on to place third, notching a score of 43.46 on her fourth attempt.

These results bode well for the Tigers, who will continue their season at home next Friday and Saturday. The Princeton squad will be hosting the Sam Howell Invitational, giving the team an opportunity to showcase their abilities in front of an enthusiastic home crowd.

The Tigers will have the chance to race against tough competition including Ivy rivals Harvard, who claimed the top spot in the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships. Princeton managed to claim the fourth spot in that competition.

The Tigers will undoubtedly try and replicate and improve upon last year’s showings. Last season the team managed to claim six wins in the second day of competition alone, which included four individual wins and two relay victories.

With the remarkable showing this weekend,fans of Princeton track and field will have plenty to look forward to as the season progresses.