Women's tennis to complete Ivy slate

The women’s tennis team has a busy week ahead of it as it wraps up the Ivy League Conference. The Tigers will open the week by hosting Columbia at home on Friday and will then get a day of rest before traveling to Ithaca to close conference play against Cornell.

These two games will be crucial for the Princeton squad, particularly the match against Columbia. The Tigers (3-2 Ivy League, 11-9 overall) currently stand second in the Ancient Eight, one match behind the Lions (4-1, 14-5). Cornell (3-2, 14-7) is tied with Princeton in second.

After their match against Columbia, Princeton will either fall three matches behind the Lions or tie them for a position atop the standings. The game against Big Red may prove equally pivotal if the Tigers fare well on Friday, as they will be trying to defend their position at the top of the table. With much of the season on the line, these next two games should not be missed.

Adding to the excitement is the rivalry between the two teams. Indeed, last year the Lions terminated Princeton’s twelve-game Ivy winning streak after winning 4-3 in New York. However, while the Tigers lost their perfect Ivy season bid, they did not allow this to deter them as they beat Cornell in a tough match to clinch the title.

This year the roles seem reversed, with Columbia atop the table. The Lions will be looking to secure their Ivy Championship with a pair of wins over Princeton and Penn this weekend. However, a rally by the Princeton squad would tie up the conference and keep the group's NCAA hopes alive.

The Tigers will then have to face Big Red, who are on the verge of a record-breaking season. In fact, the Cornell squad is only one match away from setting a program record for most victories [in a season?]. Princeton has a little history on its side in this match-up: the Tigers have won 35 out of their total 37 encounters with Cornell since 1973. Nonetheless, Big Red will undoubtedly prove to be a challenge for the Orange and Black.

Making matters more complex, the Tigers are one of four teams chasing Columbia for the top spot. Currently Princeton, Cornell and Penn are tied for second place, all within striking distance of league leader Columbia. Furthermore, Yale can also make a comeback performance if they manage to win their next three games. In order to win outright Columbia will have to win their next two games or face the possibility of a shared title.

After stumbling against Harvard in a narrow loss to the Crimson, the Tigers will undoubtedly be looking to rebound this weekend when it matters most. The Tigers have been down this road before, as they have qualified for the NCAA in their last two seasons. Clearly, the Tigers know how to win, but this time Princeton will be facing an uphill battle.

Regardless of the outcome it seems that the season will be a thriller, not to be missed.