Trump is not the only extremist

The University group Muslim Advocates for Social Justice & Individual Dignity (MASJID) has circulated a petition that calls for the Princeton University Board of Trustees to condemn New Jersey Governor Chris Christie’s endorsement of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump.

I don’t support Trump, either, and I agree with the MASJID when they cite his “abhorrent policies” that degrade and dehumanize members of certain groups – groups to which many of my closest friends on this campus belong. A shiver runs down my spine when I envision him in the Oval Office. I don’t support Trump. But I support Chris Christie supporting Trump.

In fact, I support Chris Christie’s support of Trump far more than I support this petition. This petition is not something I can support, not because of incompatible political views, but because it is internally contradictory and is more of a threat to the very values it espouses than the act which it criticizes.

By calling for the Board of Trustees to condemn Christie’s endorsement of Trump, the writers of this petition are asking a governing body with its own mission and objectives to take up the objectives of the petitioners and, more worryingly, take a distinct position in the political arena. If the group is concerned that Christie, an individual member of the Board, took a political stance that does not necessarily align with the beliefs of members of the University community, how can they at the same time call for the entire Board of Trustees to take a political stance on the same issue? If it is simply the concept of Board members assuming political positions that is bothersome to this group, then this petition is completely paradoxical.

I argue, though, that this group’s main criticism is not that a member of the Board announced his political views, but rather the political views themselves. If Christie had endorsed Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton, would we be having this same discussion? I doubt it. This petition is little more than an attack against an individual who holds views that contradict those of a group on campus.

The petition asks the Board to “reaffirm” its “commitment to Princeton University’s values of inclusiveness and diversity,” by calling upon them to publicly condemn someone’s opinion. The group espouses values of tolerance and acceptance of diverse perspectives, yet simultaneously denounces a view that it doesn't share.

The crux of the issue, however, is not even the group’s disagreement with Christie’s political view or its letter of denouncement. The issue is that this group believes their opinion to be so absolute that no one should or can disagree – lest they be publicly condemned by the Board of Trustees.

Calling the Board of Trustees to condemn Christie’s endorsement is in itself a form of extremism, insofar as it posits that no University representative should express their opinion unless it aligns completely with the views of the student body.

I further argue that this petition is a form of extremism because it intends to set a precedent for our community that opposing views of persons in positions of power are not only discouraged from being expressed, but condemned by a University body when they are expressed.

This conflict is the antithesis of the very values the petition cites:

“A commitment to welcome, support, and engage students, faculty, and staff with a broad range of backgrounds and experiences, and to encourage all members of the University community to learn from the robust expression of diverse perspectives.”

If we as a community are truly committed to creating and maintain an inclusive, tolerant atmosphere, we must be willing to allow ALL others to express themselves completely. Even – and especially – when we disagree.

Jacquelyn Thorbjornson is a freshman from South Thomaston, Maine. She can be reached at jot@princeton.edu.