Track and Field prepares for historic Penn Relays

Over 22,000 track and field athletes will converge onto the Penn Relays this Thursday for three days of record-setting competition. As one of the nation’s largest and most elite track and field competitions, the annual Penn Relays feature the top high school and collegiate athletes.

Although Princeton has competed in plenty of large tournaments before, the traditions of the Penn Relays continue to mark the competition as a historic and prestigious event. Senior pole vaulter Adam Bragg noted, “Competing at a track meet with so much significance places me in a much bigger lineage.”

Princeton will begin competition on Thursday with the women’s 400-meter hurdles, high jump and discus throw championships. Representing the Orange and Black will be sprinters senior Meghan McMullin and freshman Carly Bonnet, senior high jumper Taylor Morgan, and senior discus thrower Brielle Rowe.

On Thursday afternoon, the women’s team will continue with the hammer throw, pole vault and 4x100 initial heat. Sophomore Kennedy O’Dell and Rowe will represent the Tigers in the hammer throw. Meanwhile, junior Allison Harris will command the fourth seed in the pole vault.

To conclude the first day of competition, the men’s team will begin Thursday night with a few long distance events. First, senior Eddie Owens will participate in the 3,000-meter steeplechase championships. Then, freshman Jeremy Spiezio and senior Sam Berger will compete in the 5,000-meter championship. Finally, freshman Steven Sum will race the 10,000-meter finale.

Competition will kick into gear again on Friday. LIke the day before, Friday will begin with the men’s 400-meter hurdles, high jump and pole vault championships. On the men’s side, junior Greg Leeper, senior Jordan Myers and sophomore Spencer Long will compete in the hurdles. Junior Xavier Bledsoe will represent Princeton in the high jump while junior Ben Gaylord takes on the pole vault.

In the afternoon, the men’s team will begin the sprint events as well as the infamous distance medley championship. Just three years ago, Princeton won the event, featuring a fantastic performance from Donn Cabral ’12. Additionally, senior Jake Scinto and Leeper will represent in the long jump. Finally, sophomore Mitchel Charles and juniors Jared Bell and Chris Cook will all compete for the shot put.

On Saturday, junior Vic Youn and freshman Adam Kelly will launch their ways into the hammer throw competition. Meanwhile, senior Adam Bragg and fellow teammate sophomore August Kiles will compete in the pole vault championships.

Bragg, who qualified for the Olympic Trials with a record-breaking performance, will undoubtedly be looking to end his senior year with some remarkable performances. “Ultimately, the goal is to cap off my last year at Princeton,” Bragg said. “I think it could inspire some big performances. It’s going to be a strong field and getting the victory will be tough.”

Regardless of the results, each Tiger representing the Orange and Black this weekend has already excelled beyond expectations in order to reach the highly competitive, historic stage of Penn Relays.