Men's tennis drops matches against Ivy League foes

The men’s tennis team had a tough Ivy weekend, losing to Columbia 0-4 and Cornell 3-4.

On Friday, Princeton challenged 25th-ranked Columbia in New York. Because the Lions are so far undefeated in the Ivy League, they were a challenging match for the Tigers. Columbia clinched the doubles point by winning all three of its doubles matches with a score of 6-4. In No. 1 doubles, the team of Michal Raski and Mike Vermeer beat Princeton duo Alex Day and Luke Gamble. The next doubles match to finish was at No. 3 doubles, with Columbia’s Christopher Grant and Richard Pham beating Princeton’s Tom Colautti and Joshua Yablon. At No. 2 doubles, Columbia’s Shawn Hadavi and Victor Pham defeated Princeton’s Jonathan Carcione and Diego Vives.

Columbia needed to win just three of its singles matches to secure the victory, and it managed to take singles4, 1 and 3. At No. 4 singles, Columbia’s Mike Vermeer trumped Princeton’s Josh Yablon 6-3, 6-3. At No. 1, Shawn Hadavi defeated Diego Vives 6-2, 6-3. At No. 3, Eric Rubin defeated Alex Day 6-2, 7-6. While Luke Gamble of Princeton was up one set against Richard Pham at No. 5 singles, that match did not finish in time to contribute to the score line. The matches for No. 2 and No. 6 singles did not finish, either, but in both matches, Columbia was up one set.

Coming off this challenging loss against Columbia, Princeton looked to beat another Ivy team on Sunday, playing against 55th-ranked Brown at the Lenz Tennis Center at Princeton. Princeton won the doubles point, with Day and Gamble winning at No. 1 doubles (6-3) and Colautti and Yablon winning at No. 3 (6-3). The duo of Carcione and Vives lost their match 1-6.

Princeton was two games away from securing the win, but Cornell rallied to take a 4-3 victory. At No. 1 singles, David Volfson beat Vives 6-0, 1-6, 6-1. At No. 2, Colin Sinclair beat Colautti 6-1, 6-2 and at No. 3 Stefan Vinti beat Alex Day 6-1, 3-6, 6-4. Bernardo Casares Rosa rallied in his No. 4 singles match against Yablon 2-6, 6-3, 6-4, to grab the come-from-behind victory for the Bears. The only Princeton wins in singles came from Luke Gamble at No. 5 and Jimmy Wasserman at No. 6, who won 6-2, 6-4 and 7-5, 6-3, respectively.

The men’s tennis team will travel to Penn on Saturday.