Men's and women's crew obtain mixed results over busy weekend

The Princeton men’s and women’s crew teams were all in action this weekend as they approach the heart of their dual meet season. With three of the four teams on the road, the Tigers had mixed results against a slate of highly-regarded opponents, as the women’s open crew team and the men’s heavyweight squad scored big victories, while both the lightweight teams lost to top-ranked opponents.

The No. 10 open crew women bounced back after a tough defeat to Brown and Ohio State University last weekend to convincingly beat Columbia by over 26 seconds on Lake Carnegie. The Princeton squad has dominated the Lions in recent years and was expected to win but nevertheless is glad to have met expectations and to have its first win of the spring season under its belt. With stronger Ivy League opponents in Harvard, Cornell and Yale coming up in the next couple weeks, the Tigers could not afford a slip-up in their quest to assert themselves as one of the league’s top boats. In addition to victory in the 1V race, Princeton swept the 2V, 3V and 4V races as well, providing the team with more encouragement for the upcoming season.

On the other side of the country, the No. 5 women’s lightweight team was unable to find similar success against the top two teams in the nation at the San Diego Crew Classic. After losing to No. 3 Harvard the previous week, the Tigers’ task got even tougher against Stanford and Boston University, the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the country, respectively. The Cardinals claimed the victory with a time of 7:16.80, with the Terriers coming in second at 7:28.92 and Princeton bringing up the rear at 7:41.32. Despite remaining winless this spring, Princeton’s dual meet schedule will get slightly easier at this point, with its three toughest opponents out of the way. With that being said, the Tigers will relish their chance to avenge the two losses at the IRA championships in June, though they must show great improvement over the next two months in order to do so.

On the men’s side, the No. 4 heavyweight team notched a big win over No. 10 Navy, crossing the finish line 9 seconds before the Midshipmen at the Navy-Princeton Rowing Cup in Maryland. While the Tigers have had a lot of success in this matchup recently, it has always been a tight race and this year proved no different. After beating Georgetown the previous weekend, the team now heads into its Ivy League meets undefeated, which should help boost its confidence for the toughest part of its schedule.

Finally, the No. 2 men’s lightweight team fell by 6 seconds to No. 3 Columbia in a key Ivy League matchup. One of Princeton’s biggest rivals, along with Cornell, for bragging rights in the league, Columbia was able to extend its recent set of victories over the Tigers, including triumph in last season’s dual meet and at last year’s Intercollegiate Rowing Association championships. However, with a relatively small margin between the teams, Princeton will be hopeful that it can reverse this streak at the eastern sprints and at the Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championships this year. In the meantime, it will look to regroup from its first loss as it prepares to face Dartmouth and the University of Delaware next week back on Lake Carnegie.