Cleveland Browns draft football co-captain Seth DeValve at No. 138

Earlier Saturday afternoon, the Cleveland Browns selected senior wide receiver Seth DeValve with the 138thpick in the NFL draft.

The fourth round pick makes DeValve the highest Princeton NFL pick in recent history. The last Princeton player to be selected at an earlier pick was Charles Gogolak ’66, whom the Redskins drafted at the sixth pick fifty years ago.

DeValve was the first Ivy League player selected in this year’s NFL draft. He is the third Tiger selected in the past four years, joining Detroit Lions defensive tackle Caraun Reid ’14 and New York Jets defensive end Mike Catapano ’13.

At Princeton, DeValve commanded the wide receiver position, finishing tenthall-time in receptions and 13thin receiving yards. In 2013, the Connecticut native earned a top-50 national rank in receptions per game.

Transitioning to the NFL, DeValve will play the tight end position for the Browns. According to NFL draft expert Lance Zierlein, DeValve’s strengths reside in his “above average ball skills” and ability to “make late adjustments." The same analyst said that DeValve “should bring a great understanding of route running to [the] tight end position.”

The connection between Princeton and the Cleveland Browns stems from the Tiger’s head coach Bob Surace '90, who worked alongside current Browns head coach Hue Jackson back when the two were offensive coaches for the Bengals.