Baseball to wrap up regular season against Cornell

The Princeton baseball team will take on Cornell this weekend to close out its regular season. The two will face off in a four-game series, consisting of a doubleheader in Ithaca on Friday and a doubleheader at Clarke Field on Saturday.

Last weekend, the Tigers fell to Columbia 1-3 in its series against the team. Columbia won the first game 8-4, but Princeton won game two 6-2, thanks to freshman Jesper Horsted’s four hits, as well as junior Nick Hernandez’s and senior Billy Arendt’s multi-hit outings. The Lions won the series, however, after narrowly winning both its games the next day. In game three, Princeton scored two runs in its last at-bat, but still lost to Columbia in a 5-4 decision. In game four, although Hernandez scored a hit that got Horsted home to tie the game, Columbia scored a walk-off infield single to win the game 8-7.

The Tigers are now 19-17 overall and 10-6 in their conference. They lead the Gehrig Division of the Ivy League by a narrow margin of one game over the Penn Quakers, so the Tigers will look to separate themselves from the rest of the pack as they take on the Cornell Big Red this weekend. Columbia, meanwhile, stands at third, ahead of Cornell in the Division.

Cornell is currently 13-21 overall and 6-10 in the Ivy League. Cornell junior Tommy Wagner leads the team in terms of batting averages at .358, while sophomore pitcher Justin Lewis leads the team with 3.78 ERA. The Big Red are in the midst of a long slump, as they lost two games to Dartmouth last Wednesday and then fell to Penn 1-3 in the series over the weekend. On Tuesday, Cornell lost both of its games against Canisius College of Buffalo, N.Y. The Big Red did, however, edge out the Columbia Lions earlier this month by winning three of their four games.

As for Princeton, the team had a tough Ivy weekend, but before then scored wins over Rider University and Penn. Jesper Horsted leads the Princeton team with a .340 batting average. Senior Danny Hoy will also be an offensive asset, as he holds a .338 average and played exceptionally well against Columbia last weekend. Hoy hit 8-for-16 and scored five runs for the Tigers. The Orange and Black will also stand out on the hill. Junior pitcher Chad Powers has a 2.14 ERA to his name, and the entire pitching staff holds the second lowest ERA (4.02) in the Ivy League.

Princeton and Cornell will begin the series at noon on Friday, and the doubleheader games at home will take place at noon and 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, respectively.