Men's, women's fencing heads to NCAA championships

Princeton’s men and women’s fencing teams will travel to Brandeis University in Massachusetts to compete in the NCAA Championships beginning Thursday. The Tigers are sending 12 athletes, the maximum number permitted by the organization, and are one of only four teams to have 12 fencers qualify for the tournament.

Sophomores Edward Chin and Thomas Dudey, juniors Michael Dudey, Alex House and Peter Pak, and senior Jack Hudson, will be the six competitors to represent Princeton on the men’s side. On the women’s side are freshman Charlene Liu, sophomore Taylor Chin, junior Ashley Tsue and seniors Isabel Ford, Desirae Major and Gracie Stone.

Edward Chin, Pak, Major and Stone will be participating in the sabre competition, while Taylor Chin, Michael Dudey, Thomas Dudey, and Tsue will compete in foil. Ford, House, Hudson and Liu will compete in épeé.

The women are up first and are looking to harness the same power that they have performed with throughout the season so far. "As a team, we've been pretty consistent in our performance," said Major. "There were a few bumps here and there, but overall we always fenced hard and gave tough schools a run for their money. It's also a really big testament to our season and our hard work that we qualified the maximum 12 athletes to go to the NCAA Championships! I feel like we're all peaking at the right time, just in time to take the title."

Fellow senior Ford also attributes their success and anticipation for the tournament to their team unity. "I'm very proud of how the team has performed this season. We're a very close-knit and supportive team, which has a real effect on our performance. All of us fought incredibly hard to win the Ivy League title last month, and I have no doubt that we'll bring out that same power at NCAAs."

House, who has had an impressive individual season, expressed his pride not only for his accomplishments, but also for those of both the men and women’s teams. "I've had great performances where they counted. Winning the individual Ivy Championship for the second year in a row was huge for me, and putting in a solid performance at Regionals to qualify directly for NCAAs was a vast improvement from last year when I needed the at-large bid to qualify," he said. "The team's performance has also been great. Having both the men's and women's teams share the Ivy title was an amazing feeling. Regionals was also amazing, as we more than [qualified] the maximum number of fencers for NCAAs. It was one of those days when everyone just fenced up to their potential and we didn't need anything dramatic to accomplish our goal."

Teammate Hudson concisely summarized his hopes for both his individual and team’s performance in the upcoming NCAA Championships. "My number-one goal is always to do the best I can for the team and try to bring in as many bouts for them as possible. My second goal this year is to enjoy my last-ever NCAA competition and to try to take it all in."

House also emphasized the importance of each individual’s contributions to the team’s collective performance and success. "Our goal for NCAAs is simple: win. Three other schools qualified the maximum 12 fencers necessary in order to have a chance at the title, so we know who our main competition is. It's all going to come down to who has the most cohesive and supportive team that can bring out the best from its individual members, and I honestly believe we have that team."