Men's Tennis looks to open Ivy League play on strong note

The Princeton men’s tennis team begins Ivy League play this weekend with matches against Brown on Saturday and Yale on Sunday. With a strong and now seasoned starting cast, the team is poised to capture its first Ivy League Championship since the 1988 season.

Last year, the tennis team began its campaign by blistering through the likes of Penn, Brown and Yale with convincing 6-1 team victories, which included a clean sweep of all six singles positions against the Bears and the Bulldogs. Following this exciting start, the team tripped up against its tougher slate of opponents, losing a manageable matchup against Dartmouth before faltering to Harvard and eventual Ivy League champion Columbia. Though the losses were disappointing, the Tigers contested several tight three-set matches, proving they can compete and push the best in the league to their limits. With a win over Cornell, the squad finished with a 4-3 Ivy League record and earned an at-large berth to the NCAA tournament, its first in 17 years, where they unfortunately fell to a dominant University of Minnesota opponent.

Coach Billy Pate remarked after the NCAA loss, “We built a really good foundation and the future looks really bright.” So far this season, his forecast has held true. The Tigers have played phenomenally. Highlights so far have included winning the ECAC championship in February and four consecutive wins over ITA-ranked teams including No. 24 Penn State. The steady progress has placed Princeton at No. 34 in the ITA rankings behind only Columbia in the Ivy League.

Leading the charge will be junior captains Josh Yablon and Tom Colautti, both of whom have had excellent results on the court. Yablon is enthusiastic about the team’s prospects: “Our goal is always to win, and this is the best chance we’ve had in awhile. It all starts this weekend with Brown first, and then we look to Yale.” Because the productivity comes primarily from sophomores and juniors, each player returns with a renewed sense of confidence and most importantly, plenty of high-quality match play experience. Yablon notes that seniors Mohamed El Tonbari and Florin Radu, although not showcasing their talents on the court, have maintained a healthy off-court presence, providing the needed guidance and wisdom they’ve accumulated over their respective tenures.

Sitting atop the number one singles spot is sophomore Diego Vives, who defeated Leonard Stakhovsky of Penn State, registering his first victory over an ITA-ranked opponent in four tries. Like many left-handers, the Chilean uses a combination of a big serve and an explosive forehand to maintain an aggressive game. With this powerful and reliable one-two punch, it is no wonder why breaking Vives’ serve has posed such a daunting challenge to those on the other side of the net.

Hailing from New York City, Jimmy Wasserman is the lone newcomer to the squad this year. Boasting a number 33 ranking spot for his recruiting class in May 2015, Wasserman brings a breadth of tournament experience which has helped his transition to the college level. Pairing with Vives at the number two doubles spot and seeing occasional singles play, he has displayed the capacity and attitude necessary for further success. Tom Colautti discussed Wasserman’s contributions to the team this year: “Jimmy is a funny guy, always bringing something interesting to the conversation off the court. I expect good things and for him to start in the future.”

Captains Yablon and Colautti join forces at the number three doubles position, where they have achieved much success in past years. Yablon attributes their rise to one of the best three doubles teams in the country to their chippy and feisty spirit on the court. Doubles pairings are subject to change depending on matchups, and Pate has experimented in recent days, but the leadership these two bring will definitely serve them well as they await their Ivy League counterparts.

With a group of players that bring a wide range of playing styles and personalities, the Tigers are in a prime position to make a run at the title that eluded them for far too long. The pursuit starts this weekend, with the action commencing at 1 p.m. on both Saturday and Sunday.