Cruz '92 wins three states in Super Tuesday primaries, NJ newspapers call for Christie to resign

Texas senator and Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz '92 won the primary in his state, Oklahoma and Alaska on Super Tuesday, receiving a total of 69 delegates, according to the New York Times.

The Super Tuesday primaries were held in 11 states: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Georgia, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont and Virginia.

Businessman Donald Trump won the most delegates of any Republican presidential candidate in the day’s primary elections, while former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton won the highest number of delegates of any Democratic presidential candidate asof 9 p.m. Tuesday night, according to the Associated Press.

The New York TimesreportedTrump as having won in Arkansas, Virginia, Alabama, Massachusetts, Vermont, Tennessee and Georgia.

A Republican presidential candidate needs to win 1,237 delegates out of 2,472total delegates available to secure the party nomination, while a Democratic candidate needs to win 2,382delegates out of 4,763total delegates available to secure the party nomination,according to The New York Post.

The primaries come on the heels of the GOP debate last weekon Feb. 26, in which Cruz attacked Trump for his contradictory practice of hiring illegal workers for his properties, yet running a campaign on the notion that all illegal immigrants should be deported and a wall should be erected along the US-Mexico border.

In a press conference, Cruz asked other Republican candidates to "prayerfully consider" dropping out of the race, so that Republican voters could consolidate around him as an alternative to Trump.

Florida senator Marco Rubio received his first and only win in Minnesota as of 11:30 p.m. Ohio governor John Kasich and retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson are still in the running for the Republican Party nomination and have not yet announced plans to drop out.

In front of supporters on Tuesday night, Carson declared that he is not considering dropping out of the race, despite trailing numbers and lack of winning a state in the primaries.

"Our nation is in horrible trouble, why sit there and talk about each other and tear each other down when we have such important issues to deal with?" Carson asked.

Florida Governor Jeb Bush, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and businesswoman Carly Fiorina dropped out of the race a few weeks before Super Tuesday, in light of trailing delegate numbers in the preceding primary elections.

On Feb. 26, Christie announced his endorsement of Trump's presidential campaign. This move has incited theanger ofsix N.J. newspapers, including theAsbury Park Press, theCherry Hill Courier-Postand the Morristown Daily Record. The papers call for Christie to resign after a press conference Monday in which he refused to answer questions unrelated to his nomination of a state Supreme Court justice.

"We’re fed up with Gov. Chris Christie’s arrogance. We’re fed up with his opportunism.We’re fed up with his hypocrisy," the papers wrote in a joint editorial.

The editorial goes on to note that instead of remaining in-state, Christie has been travelling outside of New Jersey for 261 days last year and has done little to improve the state.

"For the good of the state, it’s time for Christie to do his long-neglected constituents a favor and resign as governor... if he refuses, citizens should initiate a recall effort," according to the editorial.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Vermont senator Bernie Sanders remain the current Democratic presidential candidates in the running for Party nomination.

The next wave of primary elections in the presidential race will take place on March 5 in the Louisiana primary election, with 46 Republican delegates and 59 Democratic delegates at stake.The Kentucky and Maine Republican caucuses will also take place on March 5, with 46 and 23 delegates available respectively.

Democrat candidates facing off in the Nebraska Democratic Caucus on that day will vie for the state’s 30 total Democrat delegate votes.

Primary and caucus elections will continue until June 14, with the District of Columbia's Democratic primary taking place on that day.