U. receives record 29,313 applicants for Class of 2020

The Office of Admission has received and processed a record applicant pool of 29,313 applicants for the Class of 2020, the highest in the University's history, Dean of Admissions Janet Rapelye said.

The applicant pool for the class of 2020 marks an increase of 7.4 percent from last year's pool of applicants, according to Rapelye.

A total of 27,290 applications were received for the Class of 2019, of which1,908 students, or 6.99 percent, were admitted.

The application numbers are yet to be analyzed for outstanding trends and specific metrics, Rapelye said.Rapelye added that the staff of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions is currently reading and evaluating applications for the Class of 2020.

The number of applications has remained relatively constant since 2010, ranging between 26,000 and 27,000. The Class of 2020's significant increase in number of applications marks a departure from this pattern.

The University has already admitted 785 students, or 18.6 percent, from a pool of 4,229 candidates for the Class of 2020 through the single-choice early action program, representing the largest number of early-admits in the University’s recent history, according to Rapelye. The admitted students come from 33 countries and 46 U.S. states and the District of Columbia. 11 percent of the admitted students are international students and 42 percent of the admitted students are U.S. students from diverse backgrounds.

Rapelye also noted that this was the first year that more women than men were accepted during early action. She also expects financial need to be consistent with that of previous years.

The Class of 2019 saw 767 of 3,850 students admitted through early action, for a 19.9 percent acceptance rate. The previous year, 714 of 3,854 students were admitted through early action for the Class of 2018, for a 18.5 percent acceptance rate, compared with 18.3 percent for the Class of 2017 and 21.1 percent for the Class of 2016.

Of the students offered admission for the class of 2019, 52 percent were men and 48 percent were women, and 49 percent identified as people of color. Of those, 10 percent were African-American, 12 percent were Hispanic, less than one percent was Native American or Alaskan Native and 23 percent were Asian. The percentages of males and females admitted were about the same as last year.

Harvard Collegeaccepted 14.8 percent of the 6,173 early action applicants for the Class of 2020, marking the lowest early acceptance rate since Harvard reinstated its early action program in 2011.

Yale Collegehas accepted 795 early action applicants for the Class of 2020. Fifty-three percent of the applicants were deferred for reconsideration in the spring, and 29 percent were denied admission; 1 percent of the applications received were withdrawn or incomplete.

Both Harvard and Yale have not released regular applicant pool numbers.

Rapelye said she expects to release admissions decisions at 5 p.m. on March 31. Admitted students to the University’s Class of 2020 have until May 1 to respond to their offer.