News&Notes: Cruz '92 places in South Carolina Republican primary, Bush drops presidential candidacy

Businessman Donald J. Trump, Florida senator Marco Rubio and Texas senator Ted Cruz '92 remain front-runners in the Republican presidential race after placing in the top three in South Carolina's primary, according to the New York times.

Trump won all 50 delegates and 32.5 percent of the vote, leading second place finisher Rubio by a 10 percent margin. Cruz came in a close third with 22.3 percent of the vote.

Ohio governor John Kasich and neurosurgeon Ben Carson received 7.6 and 7.2 percent of the vote, respectively.

Florida governor Jeb Bush received 7.8 percent of the vote and announced that he was going to drop out of the race.

“The people of Iowa and New Hampshire and South Carolina have spoken, and I really respect their decision,” Bush said in a concession speech on Sunday.

According to the New York Times, several voters and politicians alike noted that this marks a new generation of conservatism, one in which voters cannot be swayed by Bush-era figures.Trent Lott, former Republican Senate majority leader under George W. Bush, said to lawmakers that Trump might be the nominee of the Republican party.

“We’re just going to have to come to terms with it,” Lott said.

The next primary will be held in Nevada on Tuesday, and “Super Tuesday,” in which several states hold primaries, will take place next week.