Defending champion women’s water polo looks to impress further

On the weekend of Feb. 12, the Princeton Women’s Water Polo team started their season with the Princeton Invitational, facing California Baptist University, Villanova University, California Lutheran University and Iona College. The Tigers swept all four teams over the course of the weekend, beginning the season strong at 4-0.

The early wins follow from the great success Princeton enjoyed last year, compiling a 31-5 record, winning the Collegiate Water Polo Association Championship, and finishing 6th in the NCAA tournament. The season also included an impressive 14-game win streak, victory at the inaugural Ivy League Championship and a late season win over past nemesis Indiana in the CWPA Championship game.

However, this year’s Tigers lost six seniors, including their two leading scorers from last season, Ashley Hatcher ’15 and Jessie Holecheck ’15, to graduation and are also without star goalie Ashleigh Johnson, who is training with U.S. national team in preparation for the Olympics this summer. Nevertheless, despite slightly decreased expectations, no one will be taking lightly a talented Tiger squad looking to return to the NCAA tournament. Acknowledging that many may see this as a rebuilding year, freshman utility Lindsey Kelleher said, “there’s less pressure for sure,” viewing the lower expectations in a positive light.

In spite of the losses, Princeton still returns plenty of experienced players, including last year’s third leading scorer, senior two-meter Hannah Lapkin, and sophomores Chelsea Johnson and Haley Wan, who each contributed 34 goals last season. Wan has already taken advantage of her increased role, scoring 11 goals during the first four games to lead the team and being named the CWPA player of the week. Replacing Ashleigh Johnson in goal is sophomore Helena van Brande, who comes in with some collegiate experience as well, going 9-0 with .675 save percentage last season as a freshman.

In addition to its returning players, the team also added four talented freshmen to the squad who will be expected to contribute right away. Three of the newcomers, attack Eliza Britt, Kelleher and utility Charlotte Valentine, each played and scored during the Princeton Invitational, a positive sign about the impact they will make on the team this season.

Discussing their opening games, Kelleher noted, “It was a great way to start the season, especially beating [Cal Baptist] in our first game, who’ve been training and playing all year”. Furthermore, with the loss of two outside offensive forces, Kelleher remarked that team this year will have to “rely more on center play” and that “everyone has to step to share the load on offense”. This balanced approach seems to be working so far, as 11 different players scored during the first four games. The increased focus on center play has also been apparent, with junior center Morgan Hallock contributing eight goals during the Princeton Invitational, the third most on the team at this early stage in the season.

As far the the rest of the season goes, Kelleher sees “Indiana, Michigan and of course Harvard” as the Tiger’s biggest challengers in reclaiming their CWPA title. Currently ranked 14th in the country, Princeton quest to return to the NCAA championship continues on Saturday, Feb. 27, when they take on Wagner and the Virginia Military Institute at the Bucknell Invitational.