Updated: Campus events, transportation services suspended due to snowstorm

Due to heavy snow and hazardous travel conditions, all campus events scheduled forSaturdaywere either moved up toFriday, delayed or cancelled, according to Assistant Vice President for Communications Daniel Day.

The Office of Communications issued anannouncementaround6 a.m.Saturdaymorning saying that the University was closed for non-essential personnel. The University Art Museum, campus libraries and athletic and recreational facilities are closed while McCosh Health Center, Frist Campus Center and the Butler-Wilson dining hall will remain open, according to the announcement.

Day said that the University will continue to be closed overnight.The11 a.m. Sunday service at the University Chapel has also been canceled, according to the updated announcement from the Office of Communications at 10 p.m.

As of9:30 p.m., Winter Storm Jonas has brought twenty one to twenty two inches of snow to University roads and walkways, Day noted. He added that one or two more inches of snow are expected overSaturdaynight.

Day said that officials from the Department of Public safety, Human Resources, Environmental Health and Safety, Office of Communications and University Facilities have been talking every few hours to monitor the conditions on campus.

“We’ll evaluate the current conditions on campus, what the forecast says of the outlook and make a determination on whether to resume normal operations at some point,” Day said.

Day noted that several snow and mobile crews have been working around the clock since lateFridaynight to keep the University roads and walkways as clear as possible.

“We just want to make sure that everybody is safe both on campus and in getting here,” Day said.

He said the next update about University operations will be available at8 a.m.on Sunday.

Day added that the decision about whether to resume normal operations at the University includes factors such as whether there is access to the Dinky line, and if the buses are running, in addition to the conditions on campus. Both the TigerTransit bus service and the Dinky line to Princeton are currently suspended, and NJ Transit announced a temporary full shut down of services beginning at2 a.m.this morning.

The bus, light rail and Access Link service will resume when weather conditions permit and rail service will also resume post completion of an additional mandatory federal inspection, according to the NJ Transit'spress releaseannouncing the shutdown.

Jacob Cannon ’17, Team Director of the Wintersession team, said that the team will be in contact every day with Public Safety to determine if campus travel to Wintersession courses is safe, and will be sure to notify all participants if it is not.