Tight battle ends in loss for Tigers at Dillon

This past Friday, the men of Princeton wrestling played host to Navy, a team against whom the Tigers have found little success in decades past. Despite a valiant fight that was filled twists and turns, the Orange and Black came away unsuccessful in a tight loss to the Midshipmen.

The Tigers were looking to head into winter break on a high note after splitting last weekend’s matches — a victory over Northwestern and a loss to Lehigh on the mats of Dillon Gymnasium. This past weekend, they hoped to be the ones to deal Navy their first loss of the year.

Indeed, the Tigers opened this one looking ready to make a stand on their home turf. Freshman Pat D’Arcy was the one to get it going for the Tigers, as he earned a 6-0 victory in the 125 to kick off the day. From there, however, Navy totally changed the tide — four straight losses for the Tigers pointed to Navy’s running away with this one early.

It speaks to the fortitude of this Tiger team, then, that they managed to make a comeback to tie things up in the match. Senior Abram Ayala, senior Judd Ziegler and sophomore Jonathan Schleifer were all there to help bring the Tigers back in the match and hold the edge over the visitors.

Navy, however, came right back. Princeton’s Brett Harner found himself in a pin courtesy of Navy’s Michael Woulfe, which ultimately cost Princeton a lead that it was unsuccessful in retaking in the final match of the day.

With the battle against Navy in the books, the Tigers can head into winter break and rest until Tuesday Dec. 29. Once their reprieve from wrestling comes to an end, they will return to the mats in Evanston, Ill. to compete in the Midland Championships.