Fenwick Hospitality Group to operate restaurant, bar in Arts and Transit Project

The University will be partnering with the Fenwick Hospitality Group, a local restaurant group, to operate a new bar and restaurant along Alexander Street and University Place next spring as part of the Arts and Transit Project.

Fenwick operates 37 Panera Bread restaurants in North Jersey and a farm-to-table restaurant called Agricola Eatery in Princeton.

University Director of Community and Regional Affairs KristinAppelget explained that the University formed a selection committee comprised of a variety of University offices in choosing a partner to operate the bar and restaurant. She herself was on the selection committee.

Tracy Lawler, an outside consultant who assisted with the selection committee, deferred comment to Appelget.

Appelget explained that the committee worked over the past several months with a locally based restaurant consultant firm to find a suitable partner. Interested restaurants sent in proposals, which the committee then reviewed. When considering the proposals, the committee looked at factors including type of restaurant, type of cuisine and menu concepts, she said.

Appelget said that the selection committee was impressed by Fenwick’s proposal for a bar and restaurant and liked the fact that Fenwick is locally owned.

“Their ideas all seemed to resonate with what we thought would be of interest to the various constituent groups, potential customers in that area,” Appelget said.

Terra Momo Restaurant Group, which owns three local restaurants, was originally selected as the operator but later dropped out of the project.

Appelgetsaid that the bar and restaurant will consist of the former north and south station buildings in the train station. The south building will be a full service restaurant, while the north building will have a bar and also more limited food menu.

The opening of this restaurant is a part of larger renovations conducted by the Arts and Transit Project, which also includes improvements to public roadways, a new train station and new buildings for the Lewis Center for the Arts.

When asked about what type of food would be served, Appelget deferred comment to Jim Nawn, the owner of the Fenwick Hospitality Group.

Nawn did not respond to requests for comment.

Appelget added that the format of a restaurant and bar would be of interest to community members and University students. She noted the location’s proximity to McCarter Theatre.

“With the proximity to McCarter Theatre, we feel that the new bar and restaurant will be very much of interest to patrons who are going to McCarter,” she said.

Paul Finley, program manager for the University’s Office of Real Estate Development, deferred comment to Appleget.

Students said they were unaware of the restaurant but gave favorable responses upon hearing about it.

“After four years at Princeton, it’s really nice to see a new restaurant open on campus in order to offer some diversity,” Ryan Fulmer ’16 said.

Kyle Huang ’19 said that he thinks the restaurant sounds interesting and that he would probably check it out.