Women's volleyball team launches itself into contention for NCAA bid

In a remarkable performance this weekend, the women’s volleyball team beat Dartmouth (9-10 overall, 6-4 Ivy League) and Harvard (11-9, 7-3) at home. The wins capped a remarkable comeback for the second-place Tigers into Ivy League contention.

Debatably their best performance in recent memory, the Tigers swept both Big Green and the Crimson three sets to none. The two wins, in conjunction with losses by both Dartmouth and Yale, have allowed the Orange and Black to clinch the number two spot. Princeton (11-8, 6-4) is tied with both Yale (11-8, 6-4) and Dartmouth and only one win away from table leader Harvard.

While Princeton swept both Dartmouth and Harvard, the matches were anything but easy. In their match against Dartmouth, Princeton took control of the game early, building a lead in the opening two sets. Dartmouth would take the lead in the third set, forcing the Tigers to rally late for a 27-25 victory. The game against Harvard proved equally competitive. Princeton managed to build and maintain a lead throughout the opening set. However, Harvard regained control in second round taking a 22-19 lead. A late Princeton comeback, however, helped shift the momentum of the game. Princeton would carry this momentum to beat Harvard 25-18 in the third set.

“Honestly, I think this weekend was some of the best volleyball that our team has played in the four years that I’ve been here,” senior right side hitter Kendall Peterkin said. “I think a huge part of our success came from the fact that we played our game and focused on what we were doing and not on who we were playing. We always say we are going to do that but it was really evident this weekend.”

The weekend was also a testament to the Princeton squad’s improvement over the course of the Ivy League Conference. Indeed, the Tiger’s victory is even more impressive considering Princeton started the conference in a 0-3 hole. Princeton initially lost to Penn, Dartmouth and Harvard. Since then, the Tigers have won six of their last seven games, beating the Quakers 3-1 and sweeping both Big Green and the Crimson on their second encounter. All of this was part of a remarkable climb from the bottom of the Ivy League table.

In addition to being pivotal for the team’s standing, the emphatic victory this weekend has also given the Tigers a much-needed morale-boost for the remainder of the season. The victories have also changed Princeton’s outlook on the season as qualifying for the NCAA Tournament seems within reach.

“I don’t think we have ever swept both Dartmouth and Harvard since I’ve been here. Being the two top teams in the conference and having beaten them couldn’t be more influential on our confidence,” Peterkin stated. “It really showed us the team we can be and the kind of level that we can play at. We are definitely going to take what we did this past weekend and run with it no matter who we play.”

Four games remain in the Ivy League conference and each game will be critical as the team attempts to clinch the number one spot. Princeton, now with a three-game winning streak, will look to carry its current momentum to the end of the season. The Princeton team has shown its resilience throughout the conference and will need it more than ever on the final stretch of the season.

Next FridayandSaturday, Princeton will host the Yale Bulldogs and the Brown Bears (10-12, 4-6) respectively. The Bulldogs are the reigning Ivy League champions and winning against them will not only cement Princeton’s current standings, but also help them carry their high energy into future games. The match against Brown will also be of particular significance as it falls on Senior Day. The victories could cap Princeton’s run to the top of the table.