Faculty meeting approves new music theater certificate

The Committee on the Course of Study recommended approval for an undergraduate certificate in music theater, which was presented by Deputy Dean of the College Elizabeth Colagiuri during the faculty meeting on Monday.

According to the working papers released at the meeting, the certificate would be a collaboration between the Program in Theater and the Department of Music. The proposal explained that the University should not create a music theater track within the certificate program in theater because the University wishes to signal a more robust collaboration between the music and theater units. A certificate program in music theater would signal to prospective students and the world that the University supports musical theater, the proposal said.

The proposal stated that Stacy Wolf from the Program in Theater is prepared to head the program, but added that someone from another department could follow her.

Because the proposal came from a standing committee, the floor was quickly opened to vote. The faculty unanimously voted to pass the motion with no members opting against.

Dean of the Graduate School Sanjeev Kulkarni also discussed the recent changes in curricula for a series of doctoral programs. Kulkarni particularly suggested adding new courses in Art and Archeology, Chemical and Biological Engineering, East Asian Studies, Electrical Engineering, Finance, Geosciences, Music, Religion, Sociology and the Wilson School.

Kulkarni's proposal, which also came from a standing committee, also received a unanimous vote with no faculty members voting in opposition.

After being called to order by University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83, the faculty turned their attention to physics professor A.J. Stewart Smith for special remarks on the late Val L. Fitch, professor of physics emeritus who passed away last February.

“We shall never forget Val Fitch, by any measure the most exceptional scientist and human being,” Smith said as he finished his speech. Eisgruber moved for a moment of silence in name of the late professor.

Registrar Polly Griffin presented the report of opening enrollment for the 2015-2016 academic year. The report includes the sizes of each class as well as their corresponding gender, ethnic and degree candidacy ratios.