What's hot on campus?

Music: Princeton University Orchestra October 2015 Concerts

It’s that time of year for your autumnal dose of orchestral ear candy. Join Princeton University Orchestra this weekend for their annual October Concerts, this time featuring a percussion quartet and orchestra piece by David Lang, a clarinet concerto by Copland featuring 2015 Concerto Competition winner Paul Chang ’16 as well as Schumann’s Symphony No. 2 in C Major. Lang’s piece, “man made,” will feature resident artists So Percussion, a Brooklyn-based four-piece percussion group described by the New York Times as “brilliant.” This concert is ticketed and open to the public.

Richardson Auditorium

Friday and Saturday, 7:30 p.m.

*

Comedy: Fuzzy Dice presents “Upright Citizens Brigade Touring Company”

Do you like “Saturday Night Live”? What about “Parks and Rec”? (These are rhetorical questions; if your answer is not “yes,” we recommend that you remedy this immediately.) If so, join Fuzzy Dice this Friday as they host Upright Citizens Brigade Touring Company, from the improv and sketch comedy group founded by Amy Poehler. Quoting Fuzzy Dice quoting The Onion, “Catch the next generation of comedy superstars before they all sell out to [lousy] sitcoms and VH1 list shows.” Don’t miss out on the chance to see the future makers of funnies.

McCosh 50

Friday, 10 p.m.

*

Event: Princeton Caribbean Connection presents “Flavors of the Caribbean”

Curry chicken. Patties. Jerk chicken. Hold up, think about this again — curry chicken. You know that this is better than whatever else you were planning to (read: forced to by the University) eat on Friday night. Join Princeton Caribbean Connection in the Fields Center for their annual food tasting of some hot, hot island cuisine. If their fabulous event last spring, “Taste of Carnival,” was any indication, this is where you’ll want to be on Friday evening. Vegetarian options will also be available.

Fields Center

Friday, 6:30 p.m.

*

Books: Joyce Carol Oates, “The Lost Landscape: A Writer’s Coming of Age”

Real talk: we all come to Princeton to see “the famous people.” Even now, you can still hear appalled freshmen crying, “Wait, you mean Toni Morrison doesn’t teach here anymore?” Well, here’s your chance to meet creative writing professor Joyce Carol Oates, winner of the National Book Award, the National Humanities Medal and five-time Pulitzer Prize finalist. Oates will be discussing her latest book, “The Lost Landscape: A Writer’s Coming of Age,” a memoir on her upbringing in rural New York and the life leading up to her illustrious career.

Labyrinth Books

Tuesday, 6 p.m.