Tigers look to claim first Ivy victory

After a disappointing weekend away at Harvard and Dartmouth, the women’s volleyball team will welcome Columbia (3-9 overall, 1-2 Ivy) and Cornell (4-9, 0-3)this FridayandSaturdayat Dillon. The doubleheader will provide an opportune moment for the Tigers (5-7, 0-3) to end their three-game losing streak in the Ivy League Conference.

Despite their shaky start, the Tigers seem poised to claim victory. Indeed, the recent losses have only fueled the Princeton squad, who are in search for their first Ivy Conference win. “I think that because of the difficult start we’ve had, we are in the ‘we have nothing to lose’ mindset and are fired up and determined to play hard this weekend,” senior right-side hitter Kendall Peterkin stated.

Fortunately for Princeton, the Tigers have a record of success against their two opponents. Princeton has beaten Cornell in their last three encounters, and has won its last four games against Columbia. In addition, Big Red will be coming out of a five-game losing streak while the Lions have lost in their last two appearances.

Still, both teams have managed to rally past opponents in close games throughout the season and pose a genuine threat to the Orange and Black. “In the past, Columbia and Cornell have been streaky teams. These are the most dangerous,” Peterkin states. “On the one hand they have the ability to play very well against you, and on the other they force you to play a steady game and not sink down to their level.”

Indeed, the next two games may be as challenging mentally as they will be taxing physically for Princeton. The key for the Tigers will be to remain composed and focus on the details. “The team is working on mental toughness and being aggressive in pressure situations,” head coach Sabrina King '01 said. “We have to trust in ourselves, our teammates and play with more confidence.”

“Naturally, we tend to look at the score after every point, which can definitely affect our mental game,” Peterkin states. “If we can just focus on the little things, maybe getting a perfect pass for example, then it should help us move forward from this difficult start.”

Despite the difficult week ahead, the Tigers are eager to face the challenge at home in front of a supportive home crowd. “Our team has had moments of brilliance, and we all believe that we can sustain that level of play throughout our matches,” King said. “We are excited to play this weekend and to prove that we are a better team than we have been performing.”

Last weekend, the Tigers suffered two losses at the hands of Harvard and Dartmouth. The Crimson swept the Tigers in three sets and Big Green rallied past Princeton after the second set to win the game 3-1. While disheartening, the losses have only helped the Tigers identify weaknesses and find new strengths. Furthermore, the losses have instilled a sense of urgency in the Princeton team, providing the necessary motivation for the long season ahead.

Eleven games remain in the Ivy League Conference, which provides plenty of opportunities for Princeton to mitigate its poor start. However, each game will be crucial for the No. 7 Tigers who look to upset the current frontrunner Yale for a spot in the NCAA Championships. Winsthis FridayandSaturdaycould provide Princeton with the momentum it needs to climb up the rankings.

“I’ll admit that especially as a senior I was bummed to start off the way we did,” Peterkin said. “But if I know anything about Ivy League Volleyball it’s that the title is up for grabs. Even after only playing three games we have seen things we never thought we’d see and we know that this is far from the end for our team.”