Soccer teams look to claim victories in Providence

Women’s Soccer

This weekend, the Tigers are on the road to Rhode Island, as they hope to remain perfect in league play against the Brown Bears.

This women’s soccer team (8-3 overall, 2-0 Ivy League) has found its groove, as it has responded to a 3-game losing streak early in the season by winning six straight games. The Bears (3-5-2, 0-1-1) have their hands full — the Tigers are on their longest winning streak since the 2012 season, during which the Tigers won 12 games in a row.

The offense has been turbocharged since those early losses, averaging a shade above 3 goals per game during the win streak, compared to just .66 in the losing streak. However, particularly of note has been the Tigers’ ability to respond to letting in early goals. In their two most recent games against Dartmouth in Hanover and against Army at home, the Tigers fell behind 0-1 early on but went on to earn victories. Against Army, they let in the goal within the first six minutes but thunderously responded by ripping off four straight goals.

“[Army] was a great team win … When we are down, we are not negative toward each other,” junior forward Tyler Lussi noted. “We always try to pick each other up [and] be super positive.”

Key to the Tigers’ comebacks has been sustained aggression, even after they’ve gotten themselves into a hole. Despite the early goal, the Tigers got more shots than Army in both halves of the game.

Lussi, however, noted the importance of not falling into those kinds of holes in the first place, especially as the Tigers get deeper into league play and every game becomes critical.

“We need to have high pressure. We need to have everybody stepping up and keeping them in their half,” Lussi explained. “Moving forward and key in these Ivy League games, we need to be direct, we need to go for it [and] take chances, early and often.”

An aggressive style of play certainly aided the Tigers in their matchup with the Bears back in 2014, where the Tigers won a 5-0 romper. Lussi, who had a hat trick in that game, while excited for the chance to continue the streak, seemed determined to treat this game like all their others.

“We just need to go into each game focused, confident and ready to go,” Lussi said.

Men’s Soccer

The men’s soccer team rebounded against Seton Hall after a heartbreaking loss to its Ivy League rival Dartmouth. Now the Tigers hope to continue this trend as they travel to Providence in search of their first win in league play.

The Tigers (4-3-1 overall, 0-1 Ivy League) had opposite starts between their most recent loss and most recent win. While they conceded an early goal to the Big Green, they scored in the fourth minute against Seton Hall — senior midfielder Nico Hurtado put it in off the assist from fellow senior midfielder Brendan McSherry. After the Pirates drew level, a penalty kick from sophomore midfielder Daniel Bowkett gave the Tigers the lead once more. As the Pirates fought back tooth and nail to tie it a second time, it took a go-ahead goal from senior forward Tom Sanner to ice the deal, giving the Tigers the 3-2 victory.

Nevertheless, as the Tigers try to climb their way back into the league champs discussion, the early goals and strong starts can most likely be the difference makers.

“It’s really important, always, to come out with a lot of energy. It’s especially important in all Ivy League games,” McSherry said. “It’s in-conference, everyone’s really excited … It’s also important that we keep our heads about us and stay composed, and don’t let things get too hectic.”

The Bears (5-4, 1-0) have their own motivations, as they not only look to continue their winning ways in league play but also get revenge on the Tigers for the 2-1 loss they suffered at Roberts Stadium last season.

The importance of each Ivy League game from now on can’t be understated. Historically, teams with more than two losses haven’t held a share of the Ivy League crown once the season is over.

“Obviously, it’s important that we treat this a little bit differently, since we don’t have much room for error now,” McSherry said. “We shouldn’t change our game plan too much, but we should approach this a little differently.”