Football faces tough challenge in Columbia, Mornhinweg

After pounding Lehigh this past Saturday 52-26, the undefeated Tigers look to continue their successes this season as they open Ivy League play against Columbia (0-2, 0-0 Ivy League).

Princeton (2-0, 0-0) overwhelmed the Mountain Hawks (2-2) with outstanding play on both ends of the ball; highlights included strong passing play by junior quarterback Chad Kanoff and sophomore quarterback John Lovett, multiple rushing touchdowns from junior running back Joe Rhattigan and a stunning interception made by junior linebacker RJ Paige.

With two solid victories beneath their belts, the Tigers look to continue their progress moving forward. Lovett reflected eagerness and determination when discussing the team’s preparation for Friday’s game.

“This being our first Ivy League game, we’re excited to get after it,” Lovett said. “The first step is obviously Columbia and getting to our main goal, which is an Ivy League championship.”

Princeton has demonstrated explosive offensive capabilities thus far, racking up 40 points against Lafayette University and 52 points against Lehigh, but head coach Bob Surace '90 believes Columbia could present a tougher challenge.

“[Their defensive line] is one of the better position groups that I’ve seen in my time at Princeton,” Surace noted. “Their D-backs are extremely aggressive — they’re right up in your face, and get after it. It’s a very aggressive defense.”

Surace also commented on the capabilities of Columbia’s offense.

“Their quarterback [Skyler Mornhinweg] — you can see why he started and played at Florida,” Surace observed. “He’s a guy that can run the ball and throw it, very versatile, ball’s in his hands at key moments. Their running game — they return a second team all-Ivy runner in Cameron Molina, and he’s off to a good start.”

Looking ahead to Friday, Surace noted that the Tigers would have to play a tight, focused game — particularly on defense.

“Last week we really, really did a good job with turnovers,” he said. “Ball security is always key, and the decision-making that goes along with that. We’re gonna have to do a great job playing our gaps, our responsibilities in the run game, when you have an athletic quarterback like [Columbia does] who can throw it and run it.”

Junior quarterback Chad Kanoff also emphasized concentration and determination when discussing the squad’s attitude.

“We’re focusing on practicing hard,” Kanoff asserted. “It’s about playing fast and executing — for me, it’s about completing more passes, and [there are] also things as a team, like not jumping offsides, and stuff.”

Lovett reflected a similar sentiment when speaking about the mentality this week.

“We just need to come out and practice hard,” Lovett said. “As a whole, we need to focus and execute the game plan the coaches are giving us.”

The Tigers, at 2-0, are off to their best start since 2006 and have racked up their highest point total since the 1950 national championship, scoring an impressive 92 points in their first two games. The contest against Columbia opens Ivy League play, and with it, the team’s quest for their first conference title since 2013. In matchups against Columbia, Princeton has come out on top for the past four years.

For Kanoff, the implications of the record and of Ivy League standing are overshadowed by an emphasis on the game immediately at hand.

“I don’t think anyone’s thinking it’s any more important because of where we’re at or anything,” Kanoff observed. “It’s just who’s next on our line."

A win would provide the Tigers, who finished fourth in the preseason rankings, with a significant boost in the conference standings. As such, there is no understating the importance of this Ivy League opener in Surace’s mind.

“In football you play each team once,” Surace emphasized. “On that Saturday or, in this case, Friday night, you have to be the better team on that one day, and we recognize that and we understand the importance of each week. You know, those [Ivy League] games — you only play seven. You only play 10 games and only 7 [Ivy] league games and they are so, so, so, meaningful.”