Women's soccer dominate Yale in convincing 3-0 victory

The women’s soccer team (6-3 overall, 1-0 Ivy League) opened their Ivy League schedule this Saturday with a convincing victory over Yale (3-4-2, 0-1-0) in front of a home crowd of 458 at Roberts Stadium. It took the Tigers until the second half to break the deadlock against a tough Yale defense, but once the Tigers did, the floodgates opened as they added two goals to complete a convincing 3-0 victory over their Ivy League rivals.

This victory was vital for the Tigers as they earned three important points in their quest for the Ivy League title. The Tigers managed to beat the Bulldogs for the first time at home since 2003.

It was sophomore defender Natalie Larkin who opened the scoring for the Tigers. She was assisted by an in-the-box chip from freshman forward Mimi Asom, who had just collected the rebound of a shot that ricocheted off the crossbar. Almost 10 short minutes later, junior forward Tyler Lussi put in her first goal of the game on a delightful cross from junior defender Jesse McDonough, before Lussi completed her brace in the 90th minute after another beautiful ball from Asom.

Her superb performance this game put Lussi in a tie for fourth place all-time in women’s soccer scoring with 36 goals, 11 goals off the record of 47. Incredibly, Lussi already has eight goals this season through nine games and two assists for 18 points.Mimi Asom added to her assist total and remains the second-place points leader of the team with 11 points.

Junior goalkeeper Hannah Winner recorded her second career clean sheet as the defense held firm in the second half, and the Tigers outshot the Bulldogs 19-6. The victory sets the scene for next weekend’s away match against a scrappy Dartmouth team (6-1-2, 0-0-1) that just tied Brown 0-0 in double overtime. After just one game, Cornell, Princeton and Harvard sit atop the league, and next weekend’s games should help clear up the standings a bit.

The Tigers will play Saturday at 7 p.m. in Hanover for Dartmouth’s home opener. The game will be available on the Ivy League Digital Network.