Questions for each team — Fall Preview

This article is part of our 2015 Fall Preview

Football — Was 2014 just a blip?

2012 and 2013 were golden years — the Tigers were blazing on Cannon Green both times. 2014, however, was a crash back to earth, after the Tigers took a rough loss to Harvard at home and fell to Yale on the road. This year’s team, however, certainly gives good vibes after its excellent victory against Lafayette.

Men’s Soccer — Can they get an NCAA bid without Porter?

Superstar forward Cameron Porter led the NCAA in goals last year with 15, and his accolades in his senior season could fill a page. Even still, the Tigers were just edged out by the Dartmouth Big Green last year for a bid. While there is definitely talent to take his place — senior forward Tom Sanner, senior midfielder Brendan McSherry and senior midfielder Nico Hurtado among them — replacing a player of that caliber is never an easy task.

Sprint Football — Can they pull themselves out of the slump?

The Sprint football program continues forward, despite rough results. The season opener against Chestnut Hill may not bode great results, but fans can hope that — under the guidance of NFL Super Bowl Champion Sean Morey — this team has brighter lights in its future.

Field Hockey — Can they go far with such a youthful team?

It graduated 6 seniors and are bringing in 9 freshmen — it’s safe to say that this field hockey team has more than its fair share of young talent waiting to grow. This team, however, not too far removed from a 2012 NCAA Championship, is always looking to win now. Coach Kristen Holmes noted that “[though] there’s a learning curve … every day, they get a little more comfortable.” Will this team be ready in time to make noise in the playoffs?

Women’s Volleyball — Who’s providing support at middle blocker?

While the women’s volleyball team returns an excellent junior in middle blocker Brittany Ptak, it’s never easy to replace a talent like Nicole Kincade ’15, who earned First Team All-Ivy Honors to cap an amazing career. Freshman Nnenna Ibe has come out strong at the position so far this year, but for a team eyeing the Ivy League Champs title, stellar performance all-season will be a must.

Cross Country — Can they follow up last year’s success with more?

Both Princeton men’s and women’s cross country teams established themselves at the top of the Ivies last year — the men’s team came first in Heps, with women taking second. Each team sees a solid core of returners — this is especially important for the women’s team, which is bringing 12 rookie runners into their ranks.

Men’s Water Polo — Can they close out down the stretch?

A fantastic regular season for the men’s water polo team didn’t translate into an NCAA bid as the team found itself downed by the Brown Bears in the finals of the CWPA championships. The Tigers are looking to grab their first NCAA appearance since 2011 and have done well so far, going 7-3. Of course, it’s the crucial games down the road that will make or break them.

Women’s Soccer — Will injuries hinder them in Ivy League play?

According to head coach Sean Driscoll, the women’s soccer team roster, already relatively small at 23 players, had only 17 healthy bodies at the start of the season. While their recovery has been swift, the Tigers will need all of its members operating at full strength if they want to become league champs once more.