COS now most popular major

The computer science departmentis now themost popular major with135 students in the Class of 2017 declaring the concentration, according to department chair Jennifer Rexford ’91.

The departmenthas displaced the Wilson School, which has in recent years been the most popular concentration on campus.

Rexford attributed the rising interest in computer science to recent changes in the job market.

“The growth in computer science as a major reflects a national trend, and we are no exception,” Rexford said. “Some background in computer science is crucial to jobs in the future, whether it’s computer science as a career or computer science as a tool.”

In the past graduating class, 67 out of 89 students went into the engineering industry, and five went to graduate school, according to Rexford.

She said COS 126: Introduction to Programming is now the University’s most popular course. In spring 2015, 399 students enrolled in the course. Over 50 percent of students will take the course sometime in their University career, with the majority being non-majors, according to Rexford.

“Interest in big data — techniques for turning analysis of data into insight, important in essentially every field — is a big driver for growth in interest in computer science,” Rexford said.

Cecilia Rouse, dean of the Wilson School, suggested that while the numbers attest to the growing value of technology, they are by no means a compass.

“The interest in computer science reflects a lot of changes in the growth and importance of technology in our society. I think it’s terrific,” Rouse said. “It’s important to note that the major numbers fluctuate from year to year. I don’t interpret these numbers as being hardwired anywhere.”

“I’m not sure what is the prize of being the most popular major,” Rouse said."We are looking to have a solid major that challenges students to analyze problems from multiple perspectives."

The junior class enrollment in COS also saw a rise in gender balance, with 18 female students declaring COS A.B. and 34 declaring B.S.E.

In total, women account for 38.5 percent of COS majors in the Class of 2017, and approximately 30 percent of COS majors in the Class of 2016.

Rexford noted that the option for students to pursue a computer science major in the A.B. program has contributed to the increase of female representation. For many, Rexford explained, the basic science and math B.S.E. program requirements during freshman year, including chemistry, have not been as flexible or appealing as pursuing a foreign language. Rexford added that the A.B. and B.S.E. programs in computer science have minor differences in terms of course structure and content.

Nationally, 18.1 percent of those earning computer science bachelor’s degrees in 2011 were female, according to theNational Center for Education Statistics.The proportion of women in computer science has declined since 1984 even as female representation has increased in other technological disciplines, according toNPR.

Rexford also attributed credit for improved gender balance to Princeton Women in Computer Science, a student organization founded in 2011 by two female students dedicated to providing mentorship to other women pursuing a major in COS.

“We now have more ‘officers’ in PWiCS than we had women majors [in COS] just five or six years ago,” said Rexford.

In addition, the department has been sending female students each year to the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing, which brings together scholars, entrepreneurs and innovators in the field. This year, the department is sponsoring trips for 25 students, the highest number ever.

Marisa Chow ’17 decided to major in COS after discovering a passion for coding in a high school AP computer science course. Though aware that the industry of computer science is still not balanced in terms of gender, andthe professioncan beintimidating for the female minority,Chow noted that she has not felt uncomfortable inthe department.

“One of the advantages of being a woman in tech is that there are communities popping up toprovide help and support,” Chow said.