Both men and women's soccer teams claim exciting victories

Both the men and women’s soccer team came away from the weekend with convincing wins from great games with a lot of impact on the outlook of their seasons. The men pulled ahead to beat Boston University 2-1 in the 87th minute from of a beautiful corner by senior midfielder Nick Hurtado which senior defender Josh Miller pounced on. The women also won 2-1 over No. 23 William & Mary in an even more exciting fashion, when freshman forward Mimi Asom blasted in the winner on a broken corner kick clearance in the 91st minute.

For the men, this was a must-win game to bring the team back to .500 at 2-2 after a tough Florida trip featuring a SportsCenter last-minute loss at Florida Golf Coast dropped the team to 1-2. The Tigers took control of the game early with a goal from senior Brendan McSherry, assisted nicely again by Hurtado, who had his first ever multi-assist game. However a misplayed ball in the 27th minute resulted in a tied game with BU and took the momentum away from the team.

“It was a frustrating game in a lot of ways for us because started so well and had nothing to show for it at halftime," said head coach Jim Barlow.

But it was still the rebound the team needed as they move forward with the season, and it gave them a great chance to move back to a winning record as they travel to Binghampton next Saturday in New York.

The women's team expanded on what has already been a very impressive season, recording their first victory against a ranked team this season, and the first home victory against a ranked team in 11 years. The Tigers battled William & Mary evenly for almost the entire game, going ahead early and only giving that lead up with 20 minutes left in regulation. Asom showed her poacher's instinct by rocketing a ball into the back of net in overtime after some shaky defending by William & Mary to clinch the game with the golden goal. It was her fourth goal of the season already, and she is tied for second overall in points in a very impressive performance. Only senior forward Tyler Lussi is ahead of her in goals and points, with six and 14 respectively. The win precedes a crucial juncture for the women's season as they move in to the in league portion of their schedule. They will open with Yale at home next Saturday at 4 p.m. in Roberts Stadium, before travelling to Dartmouth and Brown.