Ask the Sexpert: Safe Sex

Dear Sexpert,

I just met someone and I feel like we really click. We’ve been hooking up for the past couple of weeks, and even though our relationship is relatively new, I really like the person. We haven’t “done it” yet, but I think we will soon. The person’s a lot more experienced than I am and says that using the pill is enough for safe sex. I just want to make sure that I don’t get anything. What should I do?

- Apprehensive

Dear Apprehensive,

It’s great to hear that you’re conscious of your own sexual health and concerned, not only about the risk of pregnancy, but also the risk of sexually transmitted infections. There are many types of contraception available — but remember, not all reduce the risk of STIs. Birth control pills, shots, patches, intrauterine devices and a few others can be used only to prevent pregnancy and do not protect against STIs. The only methods of contraception that also protect against STIs are abstinence and condoms.

Because some STIs sometimes have no symptoms, it’s hard to know how many students have an STI, but even at Princeton, there have been cases of almost every STI diagnosed. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most common STIs for Americans ages 15-24 are genital warts (human papillomavirus), chlamydia, trichomoniasis, gonorrhea and herpes, so it’s always a good thing to be proactive and safe! The most effective method to 100 percent prevent contracting an STI is abstinence. If you choose to engage in sexual activity, barrier methods like the external (male) and internal (female) condom are the only types of contraception that reduce the risk of both STIs and pregnancies — that is, if they are used properly. These barrier methods can be used for both penetrative and oral sex.

That being said, communicating with your partner is also crucial, since anything regarding your sexual health is a two-way street. Talk to your partner about your feelings about sex and using contraception methods that prevent STIs (and pregnancy, if you are in a heterosexual relationship). If you take part in a monogamous relationship, and you both have tested negative for STIs, a barrier method is not as necessary for STI prevention. You can get tested for STIs at Sexual Health and Wellness on the 1st floor of McCosh Health Center. HIV testing is free and gonorrhea/chlamydia testing is $14.

On campus, you can get condoms free of charge from your residential college adviser, the LGBT Center, peer health advisers, and from University Health Services’ front desk. Consult with your personal doctor or a professional clinician at SHAW to figure out which method of contraception works for you! More information about sexual health and contraception can be found atbedsider.org or sexetc.org.

- The Sexpert